Incorporated professional in Vancouver wants to buy

My question is: Canadian-specific
QUESTION: I am incorporated professional in BC and am interested in purchasing investment condominiums in Alberta. I understand that I would also have to incorporate in Alberta to purchase these directly through my corporation. If I purchased them in my name (outside my company) using funds from the company and then prepared a declaration of trust naming my company the true beneficiary of the investment property would this be acceptible to CCRA for taxation puposes.
david ingam replies:
So far as I know, that should be a satisfactory arrangement as far as the CRA (new name) is concerned.  However, I am sending this out to a dozen lawyer reader/contributors to this site for comment as well.
However, if your aim in the corporation is to avoid liability, I would say that you are leaving yourself wide open to lawsuits and creating another level of hassles.  
In addition, assuming that your present corporation is an active business, you are endangering any small "active" business income tax rates by compromising the gross incomes with inactive passive income.
Without knowing your individual situation and knowing that I do not like professional corporations for most professionals, I would suggest that if there is need for the purchase in a corporate name, a new corporation would be the best bet.
I do individual consultation in person or by phone and you can get a "free" answer by phoning Fred Snyder's "It's Your Money" the Sunday Radio Show I co-host.  Free long distance in BC as well.
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM (CKBD) in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet at 
Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - Long distance calls to 1-866-778-0600. 
Old shows are archived at the site.
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road (Personal residence by appointment only please)
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980- 0325
davidingram at
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered 
without detailed information or consultation and 
is to be regarded only as general comment.   
Nothing in this message is or should be construed 
as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract 
exists between the reader & the author and any and all 
non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Comments (0)

CEN-TA Cross Border Services - Tax, Visas, Immigration