I What about the cash flow and tax - US perspective -

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Starr, CPA [mailto:don at dstarr.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2005 11:11 AM
To: taxman at centa.com
Subject: I What about the cash flow and tax - US perspective
Don Starr in Blaine is adding to the explanation I gave about the
fellow who was going to buy a downtown condo, lose $6,000 a month
and then sell it in three years.
I admit that I was lax in marrying the two systems without making
the observation that it is easier to be an investor in the  US
because of the short and long term rules.  As Don Suggests, short
term holdings by flippers will attract straight income but
holding for more than a year should create a capital gain.  My
phone has been ringing off the hook however, from Americans who
have bought and sold eight or nine units in the last three years.
Most of my dealings in the past while have been obvious flippers.
Thanks Don
The following is Don's observation:
Have read your comments on the rental issue and in the past noted
you apply the same CRA regulation logic to US rental investments.
tax law is different unless one becomes a "dealer" in quickly
properties.  Holding a property for capital gain is considered as
income as a positive cash flow, hence long-term capital gains
is available for most any property held over 1 year.  Leverage
cash-flow is not a normal consideration unless one is in a tax
entity scheme.
Also, note that Alternative Minimum Tax rates for capital gains
is the
same as for regular tax (5%, 15% & 25%), further complicating the
calculation but at least giving some relief.
Anyhow, keep up the good work.
Don Starr, CPA
Donald L. Starr
Certified Public Accountant
Web:    www.dstarr.com
Email:  don at dstarr.com
Mail:   PO Box 1419
        Blaine, Washington 98231
Fax:    360.332.4005
Tel:    360.332.4971
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free
on Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, I, david ingram am
a regular guest on Fred Snyder of Dundee Wealth Managers' LIVE
talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the
internet at
Call (604) 280-0600 to have your question answered.  BC listeners
can also call 1-866-778-0600.
Callers to the show and questioners on this board can also attend
the Thursday Night seminars on finance and making your Canadian
Mortgage Interest deductible.
And for those in the Vancouver area, Fred is running an
infomercial for 1/2 hour every night in October on Channel 10
television at "groooaaannnn" 1 AM in the morning. It has a couple
of useful concepts in it that can be recorded to really get the
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
Home office at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week (please do not
fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to taxman at centa.com
www.centa.com www.david-ingram.com
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed
information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general
comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as
advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists
between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual
duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal
advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist in connection with personal or
business affairs such as at www.centa.com. If you forward this
message, this disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.centa.com/CEN-TAPEDE/centapede/attachments/20051018/438362bc/attachment.htm

Comments (0)

CEN-TA Cross Border Services - Tax, Visas, Immigration