Part II Montreal NEW condo purchase by Ontario

thank you for your quick reply- after posing the question and before I got your reply I stumbled onto
the " new gst rebate for new residential "  see links
which seems to indicate that there is a rebate for landlords...any comment ?
david ingram replies:
Not really, every purchaser of a new condo gets a partial or full rebate.  Commercial landlords get it all back and residential landlords or owner occupiers get a partial rebate.
I assumed you were upset about the amount you were leaving behind.  Your realtor or the seller of the new condo should have automatically told you about the rebate. It is nothing special and automatic.
However, you have much more paperwork to fill out as well as the following answers to two other questions will show.
I'm a US citizen, who is interested in buying a vacation/investment property in downtown Toronto.  Before pursuing this venture I'm concerned about a couple of things.  What are the US/Canadian tax implications on monies earned from rental income? The property will be rented 9-10 months of the year.  Also, are the same rules true for commercial property? Any light that you can shed would be appreciated. 
david ingram replies:
I have thirty questions here and only time to answer one. 
For US rules on a vacation property, you can not claim a rental loss if you use a vacation property more than 14 days OR more than 10% of the days rented.  Therefore if you only rented it for 230 days, you can only use it yourself for 23 days if you wish to claim a tax loss.
Canada does not have such a specific or absolute set of rules.  However, under a new bulletin, if you do not make a profit on a vacation property that you use personally at all, expect to have the Canadian CRA "them" deny any losses.
A commercial property is treated the same for depreciation purposes in Canada but is depreciated over 31 1/2 years instead of 27.5 years as a residential property would be dealt with in the USA.
For the rest, I am giving you the answer to a similar question.
I am a US citizen living and working in the US.  I am considering purchasing a rental property in Vancouver, BC and wondered about the tax consequences--both in Canada and the US.  Would I need to pay taxes on the income in Canada or US?  
david ingram replies
Both - Canada first on a Section 216 return with an extra schedule T776 - If any taxes were paid to Canada, you would claim a credit on your US return by way7 of form 1116.  After convewrting the Canadian figures to US $$$, youy would have a small loss, not a profit.
Would I be able to deduct mortgage payments and condo fees and management company fees as a business expense? 
You can deduct "mortgage INTEREST" and condo fees and management fees in Canada and the US.
If it was to be paid in Canada, would I only be taxed on the rental income--not my personal US salary income.  
Canada would not have a claim on your US income unless you were in canada very ofteen on a continuos basis.
Thank you!
david ingram replies:
Before you rent it out, you need to fill out form NR-6 and have a Canadian "Tax agent" who may or not be the rental agent.
The NR-6 is available at:
This will result in the tax agent having to remit $25% of the net rent to the Canadian Income Tax Department every month.
Then by March 31st of the following year, your tax agent has to file form NR-4 and Summary to report the rental income to the CRA and you.
The flat form is at:
The summary form is at
Then by June 30th, you have to file a Canadian Tax return under Section 216(4) to report the rental income to Canada on form T776
You can read the T-1 Guide at
The T776 will give you a good idea of what is deductible -- It is analogous to the US form 1040 with a schedule E.
You can also go to and read the rental income seciton in the Tax Guide - look around a bit.
Original Message ----- 
  My question is: Canadian-specific
  QUESTION: I live in Ontario and am thinking of buying 
  a newly constructed condo as an investment property in Montreal.
  Do I have to pay the GST/HST on this purchase
  if I intend to rent this property ?
  david ingram replies:
  A new residential condo has a GST bill that you cannot get out of.
  Don't feel too bad though.  Although it seems an eternity away, The 7% GST replaced an old 9% FST which used to be included in the prchase price of the materials.  the base prices of Condos are a little cheaper because there is no FST.
  With the GST rebate, the net price is not that different although 13 years later, no one remembers.
  david ingram
  Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air every Sunday morning.
  Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
  Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet at 
  Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - Long distance calls to 1-866-778-0600. 
  Old shows are archived at the site.
  This from ask an income tax immigration planning and bankruptcy expert consultant guru or preparer  from or or Canadian David Ingram deals daily with tax returns dealing with expatriate:
  multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate gambling refunds for the United States, Canada Mexico Great Britain the United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa,  Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt, Antarctica,  Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, American and Canadian and Mexican and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
  income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors experts  specialist specialists  consultants taxmen taxman tax woman planner planning  
  preparer of Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona, 
   California Denver  Colorado, Connecticut,  
  Delaware District of Columbia Miami  Florida, 
  Garland Georgia,  Honolulu Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
   Indiana Des Moines Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky, 
   Louisiana  Bangor Maine  Maryland  Boston, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,  
  Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,  
  Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey, 
  New Mexico,New York, North Carolina,  
  North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon. 
  Paris,  Rome, Sydney, Australia Hilton
  Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall, 
  South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,  
  Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia, 
  West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, 
  British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, 
  Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City, 
  New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, 
  Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and 
  Northwest and Nunavit Territories,  
  Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay 
  and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland 
  Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard 
  wizard -
   David Ingram's US/Canada Services
  US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
  US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
  4466 Prospect Road (Personal residence by appointment only please)
  North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
  Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
  Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
  Bus (604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980- 0325
  davidingram at
  Disclaimer:  This question has been answered 
  without detailed information or consultation and 
  is to be regarded only as general comment.   
  Nothing in this message is or should be construed 
  as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract 
  exists between the reader & the author and any and all 
  non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.