Washington state US Citizen Seeking PR in BC,

I appreciate your service, very much.
My wife and I are US citizens, living in Bellingham,
WA.   We intend to seek PR in BC.
My intention is to live in a town along the border.  I
will commute to work in Bellingham.  My wife is a
Would you please advise as to how my working in the US
will impact my PR application?
Based on what I have read on your web site, I assume my
US income will be taxable in Canada, and that I should
request my US company to not deduct US taxes.  I
understand the tax treaty will prevent double taxation.
Thank you and kind regards,
david ingram replies:
I am back to having a couple of hundred questions again
and cannot even begin to answer more than four or five
a day unless they are  from existing clients - however
this one is of general interest I think and I will
answer it.
To qualify for Permanent Resident Status, You OR your
wife must achieve a point count of 67 using Canada's
self-assessing system.
You can find the test at:
This is the self-assessment test for an individual to
determine his or her eligibility to immigrate to Canada
without being sponsored by a spouse.
Please note that having an arranged job in Canada is
worth a total of 15 points towards this goal.
When you are here, and working in the US, your US
employer will make the same deductions he or she would
make if you living over top of the store.
You will file a US 1040 Joint tax return and pay the
same taxes to the US that you would pay if you lived in
Mount Vernon or Olympia.
You will then convert the income to Canadian dollars
and file a Canadian T1 General tax return.
Unfortunately, Canada does NOT have a joint tax return
and you are taxable on all the income at a single rate.
I GUARANTEE you will NOT be happy with the result.
You can then claim the tax, social security and
Medicare paid to the US as a foreign tax credit on
Schedule 1 of your Canadian return.
Assuming that you are working for the same employer at
the rate you are now, you should hire us to do a
pro-forma return for you so that you know what the tax
hit will be before making the move.
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be
obtained free on Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred
Snyder of Dundee Wealth Management and I, David Ingram
will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to
listen on the internet at
Local calls are taken at (604) 280-0600 and Long
Distance calls are taken at 1( 866) 778-0600
I do not know how far the LD line reaches.
This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert"
from www.centa.com or www.jurock.com or
www.featureweb.com. David Ingram deals on a daily basis
with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate
problems  for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great
Britain, the United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi
Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand,
France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil,
Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii,
Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India,
Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland,
Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent,
Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, and any of the 43
states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas,
San Antonio and Houston Texas
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income
Tax and Immigration Tips, Income Tax and
ImmigrationWizard Income Tax and Immigration Guru
Income Tax and Immigration Consultant Income Tax  and
Immigration Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6
NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist expert
preparer consultant expatriate anti money laundering
money seasoning FINTRAC E677 E667 4789 4790 TDF-90
Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico,New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors
consultants - gurus - Paris Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Email to taxman at centa.com
www.centa.com www.david-ingram.com
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without
detailed information or consultation and is to be
regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this
message is or should be construed as advice in any
particular circumstances. No contract exists between
the reader and the author and any and all
non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All
readers should obtain formal advice from a competent
and appropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax
specialist in connection with personal or business
affairs such as at www.centa.com. If you forward this
message, this disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system
Version: 6.0.788 / Virus Database: 533 - Release Date:
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.centa.com/CEN-TAPEDE/centapede/attachments/20041104/4e279bc9/attachment.htm

Comments (0)

CEN-TA Cross Border Services - Tax, Visas, Immigration