TN visa holder wants to know what tax return to file -

Tried to e-mail twice before but did not get a response
so am trying for the 3rd time.
Hi David,
I am a Canadian Citizen working on a TN Visa and have
been in the states since Aug 16th and will be  for less
than 183 days till the year end. I believe I am
considered a Non resident Alien and don't have to use
the W-4 FORM BUT THE 1040 NR. Can you please advise the
eqivalent form to the w-4 to enable my employer to
deduct the taxes.
What would be my tax liability on a income of 35 k till
year end. Please also let me know how much would it
cost me to do the income tax returms thru you company.
I have  wife and kid who are on TD dependent visa
alsong with. My employer is currently deducting based
on teh w-4 form which i filled up as I did not know
about the non resident Alien.
Also can a TN visa holder incorporate a us company and
work for his own company.
Thanks in advance,
david ingram replies:
Your employer is deducting properly.  If you file a
1040NR, you will pay much higher taxes.  The proper way
to prepare your US tax return is to file a joint 1040
US return with your wife.  This gives you a full
standard deduction and significantly lower income tax
rates. than a 1040NR would calculate.
We would add your Canadian Income to the US return and
exempt it with a form 2555 as a resident alien (for tax
purposes - not immigration) or depending upon the
figures, might claim a foreign tax credit.
I would charge you between $700 and $1,400 Canadian to
look after the US and Canadian returns.
Your US tax should be less than $3,000 for your federal
return.  If you live in a taxed state, there would also
be a state tax.
centapede at wrote:
  Answers to this and other similar questions can be
obtained free on Air
  every Sunday morning.
  Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred
Snyder of Dundee Wealth
  Management and I, David Ingram will be hosting an
  show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
  Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to
listen on the internet
  Local calls are taken at (604) 280-0600 and Long
Distance calls are taken at
  1( 866) 778-0600
  This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert"
  or or . David Ingram deals on a
  daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
  multi jurisdictional cross and trans border
expatriate problems for the
  United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the
United Kingdom, Kuwait,
  Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan,
China, New Zealand, France,
  Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru,
Ecuador, Bolivia,
  Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco,
Israel, Iraq, Iran,
  India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok,
Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
  Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,,
Virgin Islands, US, UK,
  GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns,
etc. Rockwall, Dallas,
  San Antonio and Houston Texas
  Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia
Income Tax and Immigration
  Tips, Income Tax and ImmigrationWizard Income Tax and
Immigration Guru
  Income Tax and Immigration Consultant Income Tax and
Immigration Specialist
  Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real
Estate tax specialist
  expert preparer consultant expatriate anti money
laundering money seasoning
  FINTRAC E677 E667 4789 4790 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000
cross border
  Alaska, Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona,
  California, Colorado, Connecticut,
  Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida,
  Garland, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois,
  Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky,
  Louisiana, Maine, Maryland,
  Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
  Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska,
  Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey,
  New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
  North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon.
  Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Rockwall,
  South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
  Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia,
  West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
  British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
  Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
  New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
  Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
  Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
  Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
  and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
  Texas Taxman and Tax Guru and wizzard
  wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors
consultants - gurus - Paris
  Prague Moscow Berlin
  Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo
  David Ingram's US/Canada Services
  US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working
Visa Specialists
  US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
  4466 Prospect Road
  North Vancouver, BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
  Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
  (604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
  Email to taxman at
  Disclaimer: This question has been answered without
detailed information or
  consultation and is to be regarded only as general
comment. Nothing in
  this message is or should be construed as advice in
any particular
  circumstances. No contract exists between the reader
and the author and any
  and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied.
All readers should
  obtain formal advice from a competent and
appropriately qualified legal
  practitioner or tax specialist in connection with
personal or business
  affairs such as at . If you forward
  this message, this disclaimer must be included."
  Be ALERT, the world needs more "lerts"
  Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
  Checked by AVG anti-virus system
  Version: 6.0.797 / Virus Database: 541 - Release
Date: 11/15/04
  Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
  Checked by AVG anti-virus system
  Version: 6.0.797 / Virus Database: 541 - Release
Date: 11/15/04
mailto:centapede-request at
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system
Version: 6.0.797 / Virus Database: 541 - Release Date:
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Comments (0)

CEN-TA Cross Border Services - Tax, Visas, Immigration