US citizen working offshore for Canadian Corporation

     I'm a US citizen about to take a job with a Canadian based company.
I'll continue to live in the US, but will work overseas mostly, but on
occasion in Canada.  I'm looking at the possibility of opening a savings
account with a Canadian bank for deposit of my pay to take advantage of the
current exchange rate differential of change.  First, can I do this?
Second, if I can, are there Canadian tax implications?  I'm aware I'll have
to pay tax to the US.
david ingram replies:
There should not be any problem with your opening a Canadian bank account,
particularly if your employer wants to make direct deposits.  Your
employer's bank should open an account for you under the circumstances.
What you really have to worry about is Canadian income tax and social
services deductions.
If you are going to continue to live in the US and are not going to be away
from the US for more than 330 days a year, you will still be taxable in the
US on all of your income.  If you are away for 330 out of 365 days, you can
exempt up to $80,000 a year by filing form 2555.
Your biggest problem is that you do NOT want the Canadian Employer to deduct
Canadian tax, CPP or EI from you because your first tax liability is to the
offshore country or countries you are working in if they have a tax rate
(Libya does, Dubai does not for instance).  Your second tax liability will
possibly be to Canada if you earn more than $10,000 in Canada (ART XV of US
/ Canada Tax Treaty). And your third and always tax liability will be to the
You should likely spend $400 Canadian and buy an hour of my time so that you
know where you are going.
In your situation, it would seem to me that having a Canadian Account will
be disruptive to your life.  And remember, once you open it, if you ever
have more than $10,000 US gross in all of your foreign accounts, you must
report them all to the Department of the treasury each year on form TDF
90-22.1.  Failure to file this form for each foreign account carries a
possible penalty of up to $500,000 plus five years in jail (an obvious
attempt by the US gov't to stop their citizens from hiding money in foreign
This answer a precious question might help you.
My_question_is: US-specific
Subject:        Canadian Bank Accounts
Expert:         taxman at
Date:           Sunday June 12, 2005
Time:           03:53 PM -0700
I have joint bank accounts with my common-law husband.  Do I have to report
these on my US tax return?
david ingram replies:
you have to report any foreign accounts on form T DF 90-22.1 if the total of
all accounts is over $10,000 and you are:
1. 	A US citizen or green card holder living anywhere in the world or
2.	You are living (legally or illegally) within the geographic boundaries of
the United States.
I am assuming here that the total of all balances (including your RRSP
accounts) is over $10,000.  If all your accounts combined do not add up to
over $10,000 US dollars, you do not need to fill in T DF 90-22.1 but you DO
need to report any earnings on schedule B of your 1040.  Pay attention to
the two questions at the bottom of Schedule B.
This information is required to file form T DF 90-22.1 which can be found at  note that there are fines of up
to $500,000 plus five years in jail for failure to file this form.
There is also a requirement to file a separate form 8891 to report the
internal earnings on any RRSP accounts you have.
Failure to file the requisite paperwork (8891 and REV-PROC procedures) for
your RRSP accounts carries an IRS penalty of 35% of the amount you put in
plus 5% for each year it remains unreported.
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air
every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, I, david ingram am a regular
guest on Fred Snyder of Dundee Wealth Managers' LIVE talk show called "ITS
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet
at <>
Call (604) 280-0600 to have your question answered.  BC listeners can also
call 1-866-778-0600.
Callers to the show and questioners on this board can also attend the
Thursday Night seminars on finance and making your Canadian Mortgage
Interest deductible.
And for those in the Vancouver area, Fred is running an infomercial for 1/2
hour every night in October on Channel 10 television at "groooaaannnn" 1 AM
in the morning. It has a couple of useful concepts in it that can be
recorded to really get the idea.
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
Home office at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week (please do not fax or phone
outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to taxman at <mailto:taxman at> <>
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist in connection with personal or business
affairs such as at <> . If you forward
this message, this disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert" from
<>  or <>  or <> . David Ingram deals on a
daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the
United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, Kuwait,
Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France,
Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia,
Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran,
India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK,
GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas,
San Antonio and Houston Texas
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration
Tips, Income Tax and Immigration Wizard Income Tax and Immigration Guru
Income Tax and Immigration Consultant Income Tax  and Immigration Specialist
Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist
expert preparer consultant expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning
FINTRAC E677 E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris
Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo
New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia,
Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers,
Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay,
Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, Moncton,
Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego,
Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City, Tulsa,
Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello, Bellingham,
Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City, Lawrence,
Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince George, Prince
Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon,
Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,   Berlin,
Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai, Beijing,
Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red Deer, Olds,
Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie, Davidson,
Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Edinburgh,
Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney, Nanaimo,
Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne, Zurich, Kyoto,
Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries, Squamish,
Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope, Penticton,
Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis, Centralia,
Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson, Fort St
James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape Spears,
Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, Albany STAR WARS
ask international non-resident income tax expert preparation & immigration
consultant david ingram, experts on rentals mutual funds  RRSP RESP IRA
401(K) & divorce CKBD 600AM 9 AM Sunday on Fred Snyder's IT's YOUR MONEY
mailto:centapede-request at
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.362 / Virus Database: 267.13.7/182 - Release Date: 11/24/05

Comments (0)

CEN-TA Cross Border Services - Tax, Visas, Immigration