Escaping Canadian Tax -

I have been working here in U.S. for two years now under TN Visa
and I have been paying my taxes both in the U.S. and Canada for
the last two years.
Goal: To work in U.S. but want to keep my status as a Canadian
and go back to Canada after years of working in U.S.
Situation: My wife (Permanent Resident of Canada with B2
Visitor's Visa in U.S.) and baby (Canadian with TD dependent
Visa) came and stayed with me in U.S. since October, 2006 to
present date. I have a Canadian driver's license, healthcard,
bank account and student loan. We have no property in Canada but
do travel to Canada to visit family every month.
Question:  What is the best approach to handle my case? I have
been declaring my U.S. income as an international/world income in
Canada. Can I get RRSP to get a tax shelter? What is my status as
I am confused between factual resident and deemed non resident. I
am concern about my wife's status considering that she only has a
Permanent Resident status and not Canadian. Can I declare my wife
and baby as my dependents here in U.S. for 2006 income filing but
we will be filing separately in Canada. Please advise.
david ingram replies:
1.      You can buy an RRSP for a tax deduction in Canada.  The
amount is governed by the room on your 2005 assessment notice.
2.      If you are now living in the US with wife and child, your
Canadian driver's licence, is no longer valid.  If you have
Provincial plates, they are no longer valid after you have
removed a car from the jurisdiction for 60 days.
3.      If you have been out of your province for most of two
years, "your" provincial health card is no longer valid.  Your
wife and child's health card will expire in 90 days from her
leaving unless eh intends to go back in which case she has to be
in Ontario for 153 days a year and more than 183 days a year for
all other provinces and territories.
4.      I assume she was working in Canada which is why she needs
a tax return.  For the US you should file a 1040 Joint return and
claim a foreign tax credit on form 1116 or exempt her earnings on
form 2555.
5.      Under the circumstances, since your wife and child have
now joined you, you should not likely be paying Canadian tax.
This assumes that you were just waiting for them to join you. You
would file your Canadian return and report all the income and
then exempt it on line 256. You likely fall under the Wolf
Bergelt Tax Case:
In 1986, Wolf Bergelt won non-resident status before Judge
Collier of the
Federal Court, even though he was only out of the country for
four months
and his family stayed behind to sell his house. He had given up
memberships, kept only one bank account and rented an apartment
California until his house in Canada was sold. Four months after
his move,
his company advised him that he was being transferred back to
Canada. Judge
Collier said his move was a permanent (although short) move and
he was a
non-resident for tax purposes for those four months.
Get your US medical,  driver's licenses, car licence, etc.
David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA)
time -  (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as
this is a home office)
email to taxman at
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed
information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general
comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as
advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists
between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual
duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal
advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance,
preparation, or consultation  in connection with personal or
business affairs such as at If you forward this
message, this disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
international non-resident cross border income tax help estate
family trust assistance expert preparation & immigration
consultant david ingram, experts on rentals mutual funds RRSP
RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce preparer preparers consultants
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants -
gurus - Paris Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo Zimbabwe
This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert" from or or David
Ingram deals on a daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems
for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, United
Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan,
China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia,
Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland,
Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India,
Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands,
US, UK, GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
Rockwall, Dallas, San Antonio Houston
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and
Immigration Tips, Income Tax  Immigration Wizard Antarctica
Rwanda Guru  Consultant Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6
NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist expert preparer
expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning FINTRAC E677
E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions
Grand Cayman Aruba Zimbabwe South Africa Namibia help USA US
David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to
non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to
Saudi Arabia to Mexico to China or Chile - family & estate trust
trusts Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments
are all handled with competence & authority.
New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling,
Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples,
Fort Myers,
Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson,
Green Bay,
Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton,
Quebec, Moncton,
Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San
Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun
City, Tulsa,
Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello,
Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City,
Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince
George, Prince
Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague,
Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,
Berlin, Hamburg
Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai,
Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red
Deer, Olds,
Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie,
Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey,
Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney,
Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne, Zurich,
Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries,
Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope,
Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis,
Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson,
Fort St
James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape
Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, Albany Zimbabwe
 David Ingram expert income tax help and preparation of US Canada
Mexico non-resident and cross border returns with rental dividend
wages self-employed and royalty foreign tax credits family estate
trust trusts
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Comments (0)

CEN-TA Cross Border Services - Tax, Visas, Immigration