Canadian Residence Selling property in Holland - david ingram expert cross border non-resident income tax help and preparation b


Me and my spouse are Canadian residents since 4 years. My spouse still owns a property in Holland. If he would sell this
property would he have to pay taxes in BC?
Would it make a difference if he would save the money for retirement or invest it in a business?
david ingram replies:

The property in Holland was deemed to have been sold and reacquired when you came to Canada.  

Therefore, it does not matter what your husband paid for it, the defining moment for Canadian Tax was the day you came to Canada.

Determine its value that day in Canadian dollars.

When it is sold, there will be Canadian tax on any increase in value from the day you came to Canada until the date it is sold.


1.  You did not buy a house in Canada and are renting and

2.        The property in Holland has been empty and you kept it as a seasonal residence or a place to visit.


If you bought in Canada or the Holland property was a rental property it will be subject to Canadian  income tax.

AND - remember, if it is/was a rental property, your husband needed to report the rent on his Canadian return on schedule T776.

Hope this helps and remember we are here to help if necessary.


david ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325

Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -  (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office) expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax  service help.
pert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax  service and help.
David Ingram gives expert income tax service & immigration help to non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Mexico  family, estate, income trust trusts Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled with competence & authority.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure:  To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, please be advised that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used or relied upon, and cannot be used or relied upon, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at or  If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."


Comments (0)

CEN-TA Cross Border Services - Tax, Visas, Immigration