Immigration to Canada Questions

Hi David,

I was doing some searching on the internet and saw your reply to a questions with this email address.
I was wondering if you can help me too.

My boyfriend (a Canadian Citizen) and I (a United States Citizen) are talking about getting engaged. We want to have the wedding in the United States, but after marriage, I will be moving to Canada. So, I was wondering where do I apply for a marriage certificate, is it in the US or in Canada? And what would be the best way for me to become a Citizen of Canada?

Please Advise.

Thank you,

david ingram replies:

Marriage is a state or provincial regulation. You would apply for your marriage licence in the stae or province where you want the marriage to take place. Your newhusband will have to sponsor you to Canada and you will find the paperwork below.

After living here fore three years as a Permanent Resident, you can and should apply for Canadian citizenship. There ae no disadvantages for you and you do NOT lose your US citizenship.

However, as a US citizen living in Canada, you will have to continue to file a US return every year. GOTO and read the Oct 95 newsletter in teh top left box and the US/Canada Taxation section in the second box down on the right hand side.

This older question will help

QUESTION: I'm a Canadian citizen and just got married. My wife is a U.S. citizen. I would like to apply for my wife's permanent residence in Canada. I would appreciate if you can tell me the process and how long would it take.

Thanks in advance
david ingram replies:

You will have to decide on whether to apply form within or without Canada.

Within would have her in Canada sooner but she can not work unless she has a work visa. If she has a university degree, she might qualify as a professional under Treaty NAFTA.

Basically to sponsor her, you need to fill in the following paper work. At the moment, it is likely taking up to 22 months and is processed through Buffalo New York

You can start the process by going to:
This is a guide for sponsoring a US citizen spouse into Canada.
Publication 3910E
This is the application form to sponsor - form IMM-1344A

This is the sponsorship agreement - Form IMM-1344B

This is the Sponsorship Evaluation Form IMM-5481

This is a statutory declaration of a common-law marriage - FORM IMM-5409

This is the Sponsor Questionnaire - Form IMM-5540

This is an authority to release information - FORM IMM-5540

This is a document Checklist - Form IMM-5491

This is where you order your official receipt

This is your actual Application for Permanet Residence - FORM IMM-0008GEN

This is your Background Declaration - FORM IMM-008_1

This is your additional family information - FORM IMM-5406

This is your spouse or conjugal partner questionnaire -= FORM IMM-5490

14. The Above PLUS a police report from your local police station (See the guide for details) applies to those being sponsored from the UNITED STATES. There is a separate brochure for every country. If you are reading this and are from any other country (Australia, Brunei, Austria, Venezuela, etc) goto

14 for other country guides.

This is the self-assessment test for an individual to determine his or her eligibility to immigrate to Canada without being sponsored by a spouse.

I know this will help you make your decision. If we can help you, remember, that is what we do for a living. In particular you should goto and click on and read US/Canada taxation BEFORE you come.