2023 US Checklist


*Download Checklist Here*

*Download 2023 FBAR Spreadsheet Here*

Personal information

The IRS needs to know exactly who is filing and who is covered in your tax return. To do this, they require Social Security numbers and dates of birth.

Social Security Numbers
  • Yours


  • Spouse


  • Dependents







Information about your income

The following documents will help to identify all of your various sources of income for the year.

Income from Jobs
  • Forms W-2 for all employers for whom you and your spouse worked during the year

Stimulus Payments received

  •  Please indicate your stimulus payments received in 2023
Investment Income
  • Interest income - Form 1099-INT
  • Dividend income - Form 1099-DIV
  • Proceeds from the sale of stocks, bonds, etc. - Form 1099-B
  • Confirmation slips or brokers' statements for all stocks, etc., that you sold during the tax year
  • Schedule(s) K-1 (Form 1065) from investments in partnerships
  • Schedule(s) K-1 (Form 1120S) from investments in S Corporations
  • Income from foreign investments: Amount of foreign taxes paid (you can find this on the brokers' statements)


  • Stock option exercises and sales:


  • Stock option agreement (showing the type of options you received)
  • Stock option statement showing exercise prices of options
  • Form 1099-B for proceeds from stock sales
  • Sale of employee stock purchase plan shares:
  • Stock price on grant date


  • Stock price on purchase date


  • If the stock sale occurred before the qualifying period began, Form W-2 showing "compensation income" from a disqualifying disposition
Income from State and Local Income Tax Refunds
  • Form 1099-G from state or local governments
  • State income tax return previous year, if any
  • City income tax return from previous year, if any
Alimony Received
  • Bank statements or record of deposits
Business or Farming Income
  • Books/accounting records for your business OR:
  • Invoices or billings
  • Bank statements
  • Cancelled checks for expenses
  • Payroll records

In addition, you will need:

  • Invoices for major purchases of machinery, equipment, furniture
  • Logs or other records listing vehicle mileage
  • Inventory records, if your business maintains an inventory of goods or materials
If You Use Your Home for Business
  • Square footage of your home office area


  • Total square footage of your home


  • Total rent paid, if home is rented


  • Mortgage interest reported on Form 1098


  • Property tax payments from assessor's bill, cancelled checks, or impound records


  • Homeowner insurance premium payments


  • Invoices for repairs and maintenance on your house
  • Utility bills
IRA/Pension Distributions
  • Form 1099-R for payments from IRAs or retirement plans
  • Account summary form for the year for your IRA accounts , or
  • Deposit receipts and contribution records
  • If you received a distribution from an IRA account, the most-recently filed Form 8606 (if you made contributions in prior years to IRAs that weren't deductible on your income tax return)
Rental Property Income
  • Profit and loss statements from your property manager, or
  • Checkbook or cancelled checks for expenses
  • Form 1099-MISC or other records for rental income paid to you
  • Mortgage interest reported on Form 1098
  • Property tax payments from assessor's bill, cancelled checks or impound records
  • Record of suspended rental losses from prior years (usually shown on last year's income tax return)
Unemployment Income
  • Form 1099-G from your state unemployment agency, or
  • Unemployment check stubs and deposit records
Social Security Benefits
  • Form SSA-1099
Income From Sales of Property

If the property was sold during the tax year:

  • Sales proceeds: Bill of sale, escrow statement, closing statement or other records
  • Cost of the property you sold: Invoices, receipts or cancelled checks
  • Improvements made to the property: Invoices or construction contracts and cancelled checks
  • Form 1099-C if your lender cancelled or forgave a portion of your debt. Normally considered taxable income, debt forgiveness on your principal residence is exempt from federal taxes through 2022. (You'll need Form 982.)

If the property was sold at a profit before 2023 on the installment basis:

  • Previous year's return – Form 6252: Installment Sales
  • Amount of principal collected on the installment note owed to you and the date you received each payment


  • Amount of interest collected on the note


  • Name, address and Social Security number of the buyer




Miscellaneous Income
  • Jury duty pay records
  • Form(s) W-2G for gambling and lottery winnings
  • Receipts for all gambling purchases
  • Form 1099-MISC for prizes and awards you received
  • Form 1099-MSA for distributions from medical savings accounts
  • Scholarship records (if you used the money for anything other than tuition, books and supplies)
  • Director's fees receipts if you received money for serving on a corporate board of directors


Adjustments to your income

The following can help reduce the amount of your income that is taxed, which can increase your tax refund or lower your tax due.

Homebuyer Credits
  • Form 5405
  • Purchasers must attach a properly executed settlement statement to their return (for homes purchased after Nov. 6, 2009)
  • The revised law passed on Nov. 6, 2009, gives the IRS broader authority, called “math error authority,” to deny homebuyer credit claims, without having to first audit a taxpayer’s return. This authority applies, retroactively, to credits claimed on original and amended 2008 returns, as well as to claims yet to be filed.
IRA Contributions
  • Year-end account summary or bank statements
Green Energy Credits
  • Form 5695 for residential energy credits
  • Receipts for adding insulation, energy efficient exterior windows, energy-efficient heating and air conditioning systems, solar hot water heaters, geothermal heat pumps, and wind turbines
Student Loan Interest
  • Form 1098-E showing interest paid, or
  • Loan statements
Medical Savings Account Contributions
  • Account statements or
  • Cancelled checks
Moving Expenses
  • Invoices from moving companies, or
  • Cancelled checks, and
  • Paycheck stub for moving expense reimbursements
Self-employed Health Insurance
  • Insurance premium bills, or
  • Cancelled checks
Keogh, SEP, SIMPLE and Other Self-employed Pension Plans
  • Year-end account summary, or
  • Cancelled checks
  • Alimony Paid
  • Cancelled checks
Educator Expenses
  • Cancelled checks for expenses paid for classroom supplies, etc.


Itemized tax deductions and credits

The government offers a number of deductions and credits to help lower the tax burden on individuals, which means more money in your pocket. You'll need the following documentation to make sure you get all the deductions and credits you deserve.

Advance Child Tax Credit Payment
  • Copy of the IRS notice announcing the amount of your payment
  • Amount of the payment you received


Child Care Costs
  • Cancelled checks or invoices
  • Child care provider's name


  • Provider's address


  • Provider's tax ID or Social Security number


Education Costs
  • Receipts for tuition (or cancelled checks) for post-high school education
  • Tuition statement - Form 1098-T
Adoption Costs
  • Social Security number or ID number of adopted child


  • Receipts or cancelled checks for:
    • Legal fees
    • Transportation
    • Other costs
Interest You Paid

Home mortgage interest:

  • Form 1098, or
  • Your mortgage statement showing how much interest you paid during the tax year


  • Form 1098 if you purchased a home during the tax year
  • Your previous tax return if you refinanced in a prior year and are deducting points over the life of the loan

Investment interest expense:

  • Brokers' statements showing margin interest paid
  • Loan statements for loans taken out to purchase investments
Charitable Donations

Cash donations:

  • Charity bills, receipts or cancelled checks
  • Records of the mileage incurred for charitable purposes (such as Scouts)

Donations of property:

  • Receipts from a charitable agency
  • Estimated value of property given


  • Appraisal fees for expensive donations


Other charitable donations:

  • Prior years' tax returns if you have unused charitable contributions (carryovers) from earlier years
  • Year-end paycheck stub if donations were paid through your wage
 Casualty and Theft Losses
  • Description of property damaged or stolen
  • Receipts or cancelled checks showing cost of property
  • Insurance policy and insurance reports showing reimbursement
  • Appraisal fees if applicable
Other Miscellaneous Tax Deductions
  • Reimbursement check stubs or reports from your employer
  • Union dues - paycheck stub for automatic withdrawals
  • Gifts to clients, etc. - receipts showing date, cost and description
  • Supplies - receipts or bills
  • Property purchased for use in your work - invoices, receipts
  • Uniform and special clothing costs - bills or paycheck stubs showing deductions
Job Expenses
  • Seminar fees - receipts or invoices
  • Professional publications and books - receipts or invoices
  • Receipts for small tools and supplies you purchased

Job travel information:

  • Invoices, receipts or ticket stubs for transportation
  • Mileage records per vehicle used
  • Hotel bills
  • Restaurant tickets showing name and address of establishment
  • Parking fee receipts
 Medical and Dental Expenses
  • Invoices, receipts for medical or dental expenses, hospital care, medical aids, medicines and drugs, nursing care, nursing home expenses, transportation costs for obtaining medical care


Taxes you've paid

Properly documenting the taxes you've already paid can keep you from overpaying.

State and Local Income Taxes
  • Last year's state income tax return
  • Forms W-2
  • Cancelled checks for state estimates paid
Real Estate Taxes
  • Tax collector bills or cancelled checks
  • Form 1098 or closing statement if you bought, sold or refinanced property in the current year
Personal Property Taxes
  • Tax bills or cancelled checks
  • Automobile licensing bills, if fees are charged annually based on value


Information on household employees wages paid during the current tax year

A household employee is anyone you paid to provide domestic services in your home, like a nanny, babysitter, au pair, landscaper, etc. You are responsible for paying employment taxes for that person if you did not hire them through an agency, or if they are not self-employed and making estimated tax payments on their own.

If you are required to pay taxes on a household employees wages, you'll need:

  • Completed Form W-9 from your employee showing his or her Social Security number or other Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)


 Other tax payments

If you paid quarterly estimated tax payments (usually paid by self-employed workers), you'll need:

  • Records showing the date paid and amount

If you applied a tax overpayment from 2022 to 2023, you'll need:

  • Your 2022 income tax return

If you filed or plan on filing extensions for your 2023 tax return, you'll need:

  • Cancelled checks for payments you made with the extension

 Direct deposit information

If you want your tax refund deposited directly into your bank account, you'll need:

  • Routing number from the lower left side of one of your checks (usually the first nine digits)


  • Bank account number from the bottom of the check or on a bank statement



Foreign bank account information

  • Please fill out Banking spreadsheet





Last Updated Monday, January 29 2024 @ 12:06 PM PST|13,695 Hits View Printable Version