Canadian Income Tax - housing renovations, deductions, etc.


I bought a house in Quebec in 2002 and sold it in 2006. I paid $325k and sold for $460k having spent $150k on renovations. The notary deducted $50k in taxes from the balance. What was the tax and how do I get it back, or don't I? I had no income in Canada and was classed as a non-resident.
I would appreciate some info.
Many thanks


david ingram replies:

You must file a Canadian T1 and a Quebec TP1 return to report the $15,000 loss on the buy and sell. Federally you would do this on schedule 3.

For Quebec, you would fillout schedule G of your TP-1.

The CRA will likley want copies of the receipts for your $150,000 of renovations.

After filing, you should get the $50,000 returned to you.

Are you the UNIX specialist? We used Microsoft Xenix here from 83 to 86, then SCO XENIX untill 1989, Open Desktop until 2003 and then switched to LINUX which we use as a server now.

I assume you have returned to ENGLAND. If you need the returns done, we can handle them here for you.