US Citizen / Canadian Resident

If I made 100k in CAnada for 2006 tax year and am a US Citizen, what forms do I have to file for the US? Is it better to take a credit or apply for a foreign tax deduction? Also, am I supposed to have my T1 attached to the US 1040?


david ingram replies

If you have children, file form 1116 because that leaves you eleigible for up to $1,000 child tax benefit per child from the US even if you have no US income.

If no children, form 2555 is easier.

If filing form 1116, attach a copy of the Canadian T1 to the 1040.

goto and read the Oct 1995 newsletter in the top left hand box and the "US/Canada Tax" section in the second box down on the right hand side.