property purchase in Canada by fiancee of Canadian - being sponsored to Canada

>> My fiance is canadian, i am from the uk but not resident in cyprus (yet).
>> Can we jointly purchase a property in Canada
> ___________________________________________________
> david ingram replies:
Nothing stops you from purchasing a property together but the purchase
does NOT confer any right for you to live in Canada.

You will either have to marry and be sponsored to Canada or qualify on
your own. Your calling him your fiancee means that you do not qualify to
be sponsored as a common-law spouse or conjugal partner which already
qualify because they "are already married", just not formally.
The following older question will give you the methods of getting here if
you do not
get sponsored by an employer or a spouse.


I am a Canadian currently living in the UK but I need to return home in the
summer due to family commitments. My boyfriend is keen to move over with me
but we're not too sure on what we have to do. I have read that it is easiest
for me to sponsor my boyfriend (who is counted as a common law partner) for
immigration but I cant find any information to tell me if I am eligible to
sponsor him or he is eligible to be sponsored. My boyfriend is British and
I have dual Nationality between Canada and Britain.


david ingram replies:

Rather than start over, I have taken another woman's similar question
answered a long time ago and reproduced it here. It should answer most of
you questions and a couple of more. In this case, the writer is already or
still in Canada

To the reader - I have taken one run-on paragraph and broken it into 14
questions. The question seems to be a second part where the first part has
gone astray but the gist of the question is clear.


A. What if the woman is Canadian and the man is from the UK.
There is a slightly different process than if your man was from the United
States. I have identified the brochure for you to read below at 1(a)

B. What if we want to live in Vancouver? (I live in Vancouver...the man
in question came to visit & almost stayed, but had to go back for a short
period because his father was ill.
If he comes to Canada, you can live anywhere you want without restriction if
you sponsor him into the country.

C. Does getting married ensure that he gets to stay?
Getting married does NOT ensure that he gets to stay.

D. If we marry before he comes over, will we be prevented from seeing
each other anyway?
If you marry before he gets here and he is refused admission to Canada, you
will be visiting him in the UK or meeting in the Canary Islands or Bermuda.

E. Should I get a visa & live there for a period?
No particular reason unless it was to get married there and live there for
the period it took you to sponsor him to Canada from out of the country.

F. Would his getting a job here help?
If he got a job here and a working visa, he would be here, you could get
married or not and live together or not and he could likely apply on his own
hook without your sponsoring him.

He can do a self-assessment for his ability to move on his own without your
help at 15 below.

G. Should we marry there, here or if we decided to marry somewhere else,
would it make a difference?
If he comes to Canada as a visitor and you married while he was here, he
would be "here" . If you get married out of the country, you will spend
more time apart than you want to. Technically, he would be breaking the law
by coming as a visitor with the intent of getting married and staying.

H. What if we wanted to be common-law?
Canada recognizes Common law marriages and conjugal partners. Read guide at

I. If we marry through a church is one church preferable to another?
If the most important part of the wedding pictures is the church, some
churches are much more scenic than others. Some churches do not have enough
room for a large wedding. And some churches do not have enough parking.

J. Why do governments keep people who love one another apart?
Marrying for "convenience" (getting status in a country) is an extremely
common way for people to get into a country. My files are full of people who
married someone brought them to North America and had the "loved one"
disappear as soon as the paperwork was official.

K. Does he have to get some sort of visa to re-enter the country even if
we are married?
If you are married, the Immigration officers at the border Point or Port of
Entry will try and keep him out of the country because they will assume he
is coming here to live with you. For that he needs status.

L. How long is the visa good for?
If he comes as your spouse with your sponsoring him, his visa is for life.
If he comes as a skilled worker, it could be for a year or longer.

M. If we do get married & he is over a certain age will he still be told
you're too old & be sent back?
You can sponsor him at any age. If you get married out of the country and
want to sponsor him back, you have to prove your income is high enough to
support him and guarantee his support fro up to 10 years. If you sponsor
him from within the country, you do not need to meet the income test.

N. If that's the case, there's no point in spending the $ on a wedding
when I am in one country & he is in another is there?
True Love moves in mysterious ways. We have several clients where the wife
lives in one country and the husband in another.

O. Are you (not you, the government) telling me whom I should & shouldn't
Not at all. The Government is merely enforcing its rules about just "who"
gets to live in Canada. They have expanded the rules to cover same sex
couples and common law couples where they can show a true long-term
relationship. Marriage does not ensure that the couple will stay together.
Along with yours, I received another email from a mother telling me that her
daughter's marriage had fallen apart after 8 months and she was taking down
the wedding pictures. It was a very BIG church wedding.

david ingram replies:

It would be much, much easier on you to just find a local man. However
since you have picked someone from out of the country, you (and he) have to
conform to the rules.

You can start the process by going to:
This is a guide for sponsoring a US citizen spouse into Canada. -
Publication 3910E
This is a "different" guide used for sponsoring a UK citizen spouse into
Canada 3901E
(also for 36 other Western Europe Countries from Slovenia to Iceland (on

This is the application form to sponsor - form IMM-1344A

This is the sponsorship agreement - Form IMM-1344B

This is the Sponsorship Evaluation Form IMM-5481

This is a statutory declaration of a common-law marriage - FORM IMM-5409

This is the Sponsor Questionnaire - Form IMM-5540

This is an authority to release information - FORM IMM-5540

This is a document Checklist - Form IMM-5491

This is where you order your official receipt

This is your actual Application for Permanent Residence - FORM IMM-0008GEN

This is your Background Declaration - FORM IMM-008_1

This is your additional family information - FORM IMM-5406

This is your spouse or conjugal partner questionnaire -= FORM IMM-5490

14. The Above PLUS a police report from your local police station (See
the guide for details) applies to those being sponsored from the UNITED
STATES or Western Europe. There is a separate brochure for every country.
If you are reading this and are from any other country (Australia, Brunei,
Austria, Venezuela, etc) goto

14 for other country

This is the self-assessment test for an individual to determine his or her
eligibility to immigrate to Canada without being sponsored by a spouse.

I know this will help you make your decision. If we can help you, remember,
that is what we do for a living. In particular you should goto and click on and read [US/Canada Taxation] BEFORE you come.
Although specifically geared to the United States, this section contains
references to Saudi Arabia, Great Britain, Libya and shows the way Canada
taxes people from other countries. Article IV of the US / Canada Tax treaty
is also there and reads "just about" identically to another 100 + countries
that Canada has treaties with.