Immagration to Canada

Hi David   My husband is looking to immagrate to Canada in the near future. myself and our two children are Canadian and he is from an African country. Do you deal in this area & can we hire you to help us with the process? We would also have a number of tax related questions and concerns about moving back to Canada as we have all been living abroad for 6 years together. We would be looking to make a move within 3 years but want to start getting all our ducks in a row before that time.   Look forward to hearing from you,   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
david ingram replies:

I advise those wishing to handle their own paperwork for Canadian and American immigration but do not work as an actual instigator or paper handler in this area anymore.

I mainly deal in the tax consequences or 'what ifs' of immigration.

I am easily approached via phone or the internet and you can find my prices after the disclaimer.

You can sponsor your husband by filling in the following paperwork. Note the country specific guiides -  Yours is IMM 3912 for instance which you will find at 1.l below

The following will give you the paperwork that must be filled in and submitted. It is aimed at Americans but the South African booklet can be found at 1(l) below:

There are some different rules for sponsorship from within Canada. If this is the case, also explore


I am a Canadian citizen working in Hong Kong for 4 years.  I have declared myself as "non-resident" of Canada for tax purposes.

I will be getting marry in Jan 2007.  My fiancee is a HK citizen.  We would like to move back to Canada after marriage and I have the following questions regarding sponsorship of my finacee's immigration application:
- can I sponsor the application with my non-residence status?  then move back after the application is approved??
- In order to sponsor the application, I need to fulfill some income
requirements.  Can I use my income from HK as a proof or if I need to move back alone first, then get a job and pay tax before I can apply??

To complete the question, what are the steps to take in order for us to move to Canada?
david ingram replies:

You can sponsor him from afar and move back together.

You need to fill out most, if not all of the following forms.

Unless there is a problem with criminality in your fiancée's background, you should be able to fill them in yourself but we are here if you need some help with them.

Our specialty is the tax portion of the question and we would be glad to
look after your arriving back in  Canada returns.

The following older question and answer will give you what you need

david ingram replies:

The following deals with sponsoring a spouse into Canada:

I can not guarantee that you will not have any problems but if you have no problems in any of your backgrounds and your lady in is good health, you should be able to sponsor her by filling in the following forms by yourself.

If there are any "really" questionable situations, you should consult with
an Immigration lawyer.  If there is nothing questionable that requires
privileged communication, you can and should consult with a member of the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants.

In general, you can likely fill them in yourself.  If you do need help,  with general questions you can contact me.

You can start the process by going to:

This is a guide for sponsoring a US citizen spouse into Canada.
            Publication 3910E

You can also look at
894f62c to order the specific forms and at to see a list of the
countries and areas.

This is the Guide for sponsoring a spouse from West Europe including Albania, Andorra, Austria, Azores, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Canary Islands, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Faeroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marinao, Serbia and Montenegro, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden,  Switzerland, United Kingdom, Vatican City

This is a Guide for sponsoring a spouse from Eastern Europe including Armenia, Belarus, Bulgaria, Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Russia,  and Ukraine 

This is the Guide for sponsoring a spouse from MAINLAND CHINA, Macao, Tibet and Hong Kong although the guide only refers to Mainland China on the cover.-----

        This is the Guide for sponsoring a spouse form India, Nepal; or

        This is the Guide for sponsoring a spouse from the Philippines

        This is the Guide for sponsoring a spouse from Australia, Brunei, Cambodia, Cook Islands, Timor-Leste, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Indonesia, Kiribati, Laos, Malaysia, Marshall Islands, Micronesia,
Myanmar, Nauru, New Zealand, Niue, Palau, Papua-New Guinea,
Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Thailand, Tonga, Tuvalu,
Vanuatu and Vietnam

        This is the Guide for sponsoring a spouse from Bangladesh, South
Korea, Pakistan,

        This is the Guide for sponsoring a spouse from  Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela 

        This is the Guide for sponsoring a spouse from Antigua & Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname and Trinidad and Tobago

        This is the Guide for sponsoring a spouse from United States of America, Bermuda, Puerto Rico and Saint Pierre and Miquelon

        This is the Guide for sponsoring a spouse from -Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Cyprus, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tadjikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, West Bank and Gaza Strip, Yemen

        This is the Guide for sponsoring a spouse from African countries such as -Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Chad, Central African Republic, Comoros, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome é Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe-

This is the application form to sponsor - form IMM-1344A

This is the sponsorship agreement - Form IMM-1344B

This is the Sponsorship Evaluation Form IMM-5481

This is a statutory declaration of a common-law marriage - FORM IMM-5409

This is the Sponsor Questionnaire - Form IMM-5540

This is an authority to release information - FORM IMM-5540

This is a document Checklist - Form IMM-5491

This is where you order your official receipt

This is your actual Application for Permanent Residence - FORM IMM-0008GEN

This is your Background Declaration - FORM IMM-008_1

This is your additional family information - FORM IMM-5406

This is your spouse or conjugal partner questionnaire -= FORM IMM-5490

14.    The Above PLUS a police report from your local police station (See
the guide for details) applies to those being sponsored from the UNITED
STATES. There is a separate brochure for every country.  If you are reading
this and are from any other country (Australia, Brunei, Austria, Venezuela,
etc) goto

14a for other country

This is the self-assessment test for an individual to determine his or her
eligibility to immigrate to Canada without being sponsored by a spouse.

I know this will help you make your decision.  If we can help you, remember,
that is what we do for a living.  In particular you should goto and click on and read US/Canada taxation BEFORE you come.