How to get a U.S. working visa when spouse has a TN - Susan's Story - Expert Income Tax help on cross Border tax and immigration

On 08/08/2010 2:17 PM, XXXXXXXX  wrote:

Below is the result of your feedback form.  It was submitted by
XXXXXXXXX on Sunday, August 8, 2010 at 14:17:50

My_question_is: Both

question: Hi,
I am a Canadian citizen. My husband and I own a home in Phoenix AZ and I have been
going back and forth every couple of months. I am under my husband's TN status,
which means I cannot work. However, I would really like to.

I am not a professional as described under NAFTA.

All my experience has been in office administration.

Besides the sponsorship under my sister's status (which could take years), do you
have any other recommendation as to how I can get a working visa so that I can also
bring in an income?

Any information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!




david ingram replies:

If you can find a supervisory or management job, You can qualify for an H visa.  They take longer to get and have limitations in that you can only stay for 7 years or so under an H visa unless you get a green card.

They also have a problem when tied to someone else with a TN.  If you are getting an H visa, make sure hubby gets one too (also).

You can also telecommute back to Canada if you could find that kind of job. 

Otherwise, you are out of luck.

Women in your position (particularly when children are involved) become third class citizens

Read Susan's story at


If you 'really' only have a single question requiring a 'couple' of minutes, you can try phoning me for free as part of the following.

- For a quick free question

You might try calling Fred Snyder's radio program for an answer on a Sunday Morning.. 

Fred Snyder's  "IT'S YOUR MONEY" radio show. on CISL,  650 AM on the dial in Vancouver from 9 to 11:00 AM every Sunday  (604) 280-0650 or (877) 280-0650 - You can listen live from anywhere in the world at from anywhere in the world. click on the button in the top left hand corner.
You might try calling Fred Snyder's weekly radio programs for an answer. 
  1. Circular 230 Disclosure: Pursuant to recently-enacted US Treasury Dept. regulations, we are now required to advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the internal revenue code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

  2. Privileged and Confidentiality Notice: This electronic transmission (and/or the documents accompanying it) may contain confidential information belonging to the sender. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, electronic storing, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and immediately delete this record from your computer system.

Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at or  If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."

david ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325

Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -  (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office) expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax  service help.
pert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax  service and help.
David Ingram gives expert income tax service & immigration help to non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Mexico  family, estate, income trust trusts Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled with competence & authority.



Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.