Canada Home Buyers Plan & RRSP Withdrawal to IRS? - Expert Income Tax help on cross Border tax and immigration and divorce a

This note really only applies to Vancouver Island residents.

Fred Snyder will be presenting his seminar on Retirement planning on Tuesday Night, Aug 24, 2010  from 6 PM to 9 PM at he COMFORT INN at 101 Island Highway in Victoria.  Call 1-877-475-7526 to register.  I believe that the Inn is at the corner of Craigflower and Admiral but do check your map.  NO CHARGE - No Obligation. 

My_question_is: Both

question: Dear Tax Expert

I would really appreciate your advice. I am Canadian living in the US. In 2005 I withdrew some funds tax free from my RRSP to purchase a rental home under the home buyers plan.  I moved to the US in 2009 and that same year sold the house. As a deemed non-resident in 2009, the CRA had me declare the 2005 RRSP funds as income in 2009 (had to pay all taxes on that since I left Canada). My question is:

-	Do I also have to declare the 2005 RRSP withdrawal as 2009 income to the IRS using form 8891? This doesn't make sense to me since there wasn't an actual distribution in 2009 (as per the RRSP statement) and I can't put a number in line 7a in form 8891   

Thanks a lot!! 


david ingram replies

The first error was that a HBP can NOT be used to buy a rental house -  It has to be used to buy a house that you lived in so properly, the RRSP withdrawal was taxable in 2005.

You do not have to report the Withdrawal on form 8891 because you made the withdrawal BEFORE moving to the US and presumably declared it on the departing Canada Tax from along with Forms T1161 and maybe 1243 and 1244..

However, if you still have any balance in an RRSP in Canada, you have to be sure to report them on form 8891 and if the total exceeds $10,000 fill in forms TDF 90-22,.1 as well

And, of course, an other Canadian or German or Australian, etc accounts must be reported as well.

If your question was not answered fully or you wish to go further, I am available for individual consultations by phone or email or in person for $450 per professional hour. 

Please also note that we prepare Canadian, US, Australian, UK and New Zealand returns on a mail in, email, fax, snail mail or couriered basis. At any time, our clients are in 40 countries or more.  They have every occupation from nuclear Submarine captains to FedEx pilots to Major Bank officers to Politicians, Diplomats and border patrol officers.  My favourite, however, is a penguin catcher in Antarctica among others there..

If you 'really' only have a single question requiring a 'couple' of minutes, you can try phoning me for free as part of the following.

- For a quick free question

You might try calling Fred Snyder's radio program for an answer on a Sunday Morning.. 

Fred Snyder's  "IT'S YOUR MONEY" radio show. on CISL,  650 AM on the dial in Vancouver from 9 to 11:00 AM every Sunday  (604) 280-0650 or (877) 280-0650 - You can listen live from anywhere in the world at from anywhere in the world. click on the button in the top left hand corner.
You might try calling Fred Snyder's weekly radio programs for an answer. 
  1. Circular 230 Disclosure: Pursuant to recently-enacted US Treasury Dept. regulations, we are now required to advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the internal revenue code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

  2. Privileged and Confidentiality Notice: This electronic transmission (and/or the documents accompanying it) may contain confidential information belonging to the sender. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, electronic storing, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and immediately delete this record from your computer system.

Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at or  If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."

david ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325

Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -  (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office) expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax  service help.
pert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax  service and help.
David Ingram gives expert income tax service & immigration help to non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Mexico  family, estate, income trust trusts Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled with competence & authority.



Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.


The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Authored by: Anonymous User on Monday, August 23 2010 @ 05:52 PM PDT Canada Home Buyers Plan & RRSP Withdrawal to IRS? - Expert Income Tax help on cross Border tax and immigration and divorce a

Do very low balances on RRSPs (i.e. CAD 400) with negligible interest gains need to be reported on form 8891 too?

[ # ]