Technical problems with Renewing PR Card -

Except there's a Catch 22.  The Permanent Resident Card cannot be renewed outside of Canada or without a Canadian address.  So, while a person can technically retain their PR status while living outside Canada with their Canadian citizen spouse, they cannot get proof of that status.

david ingram replies:
The first PR cards are just coming up for renewal now and so far I have not heard a single squeal.  Those who are married to a Canadian have likely come back to Canada with their spouse for visits with family, etc and will likely coordinate their renewals to coincide with that visit.  But you make a point and I will circulate this as a warning.

Thanks for the heads up.


Below is the original comment
David Ingram wrote:

As I am sure you realize, your PR card remains valid as long as you are living outside of Canada with a Canadian spouse. You do NOT need to worry about coming back to Canada for regular visits, do NOT need to file any paperwork other than to renew the card after five years and do NOT have to file a Canadian tax return to keep it alive as the holder of a US Green Card must do. 
David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -  (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to [email protected]
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or consu
David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Saudi Arabia to Mexico to China or Chile - Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled with competence & authority.


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.