U.S./Canadian Marriage...and high explosives -

My_question_is: Applicable to both US and Canada
Subject:        U.S./Canadian Marriage...and high explosives
Expert:         [email protected]
Date:           Tuesday January 29, 2008
Time:           05:57 PM -0000


My girlfriend and I are thinking about marriage. She's Canadian and I'm American. We both live very close to the border (1.5hr drive  from my place to hers) We both have jobs that we love and neither of us wants to give up our jobs or citizenship. It seems that dual citizenship (of some form) is in order. Here come the questions:
1. I work for the U.S. xxxxxxxxxxxxx. By obtaining landed immigrant status in Canada will I still be able to keep my U.S. Gov't job?
2. In addition to having a U.S. Gov't job I will also be getting my blasters license for working with high explosives (job related) will this be affected in anyway? (I believe the blasters license is very similar to a class 3 weapons license in the sense that you need federal approval to obtain it.)
3. Will the effects be different (for the previous questions) if I became landed immigrant vs. Canadian citizen
4.If she obtains a green card or other form of residency other than U.S. Citizen is she obligated to pay "world" taxes to the U.S.?
5. Are there any questions that I should be asking that I haven't?

Thanks for doing the wonderful things you guys do!

david ingram replies;

It is 10 x's easier for you to come to Canada then it is for you to take your wife to the US under the circumstances you describe.

If you  keep a full blown house / home in the US  and your job there and only visit on weekends, you can marry and spend time with her in Canada and she can visit you on alternate weekends in the US and neither of you need to immigrate to the other country.

If you decide to marry and your wife moves to the US, it will be harder and the resident rules are far more stringent and she loses her BC JMedical because she has a green card and is living in the US.  You will save a little tax becaus eof the joint tax return and federal foreign tax credits for the tax, CPP and EI she pays Canada.

If you move to Canada, you would qualify for BC Medical if you slept in BC more than 183 days a year.  Because you are a US Federal  Government employee, your US income is NOT taxable in Canada.  You woul dhave to file a tax return but would deduct all the US federal Government pay on line 256 under Article XIX of the US / Canada Income Tax Convention. If you became a Canadian citizen,

If you do not bother being sponsored as a full time resident and stay in the US and she visits you half the time, and vice versa, you can continue life as it is and she can as well.  You will save tax because you can file a US joint tax return and cut your tax down about $3 to 4,000.  -- And, of course, if you move to Canada, you can also file a joint return and save tax.
What you cannot do is carry any blasting caps or other explosives across the border.

The following gives the paperwork she would need to file to sponsor you to Canada.  She nbeeds to use the guide at '1'  below




I am a Canadian citizen working in Hong Kong for 4 years.  I have declared
myself as "non-resident" of Canada for tax purposes.

I will be getting marry in Jan 2007.  My fiancee is a HK citizen.  We would
like to move back to Canada after marriage and I have the following
questions regarding sponsorship of my finacee's immigration application:
- can I sponsor the application with my non-residence status?  then move
back after the application is approved??
- In order to sponsor the application, I need to fulfill some income
requirements.  Can I use my income from HK as a proof or if I need to move
back alone first, then get a job and pay tax before I can apply??

To complete the question, what are the steps to take in order for us to move
to Canada?
david ingram replies:

You can sponsor him from afar and move back together.

You need to fill out most, if not all of the following forms.

Unless there is a problem with criminality in your fiancée's background, you
should be able to fill them in yourself but we are here if you need some
help with them.

Our specialty is the tax portion of the question and we would be glad to
look after your arriving back in  Canada returns.

The following older question and answer will give you what you need

[email protected]: Please see bottom of message if you wish to unsubscribe.
If you are new to the list, you were probably added because you sent a
question to
[email protected], posted a question online at www.centa.com or
possibly at

david ingram replies:

The following deals with sponsoring a spouse into Canada:

I can not guarantee that you will not have any problems but if you have no
problems in any of your backgrounds and your lady in is good health, you
should be able to sponsor her by filling in the following forms by yourself.

If there are any "really" questionable situations, you should consult with
an Immigration lawyer.  If there is nothing questionable that requires
privileged communication, you can and should consult with a member of the
Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants.

In general, you can likely fill them in yourself.  If you do need help, you
can contact me.

You can start the process by going to:
This is a guide for sponsoring a US citizen spouse into Canada.
            Publication 3910E

This is the Guide for sponsoring a spouse from MAINLAND CHINA, Macao, Tibet and Hong Kong although the guide only refers to the People's Republic of China on the cover.

You can also look at
894f62c to order the specific forms and at
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/fc.asp to see a list of the
countries and areas.

        This is the Guide for sponsoring a spouse form India, Nepal; or

        This is the Guide for sponsoring a spouse from the Philippines

        This is the Guide for sponsoring a spouse from Australia, Brunei, Cambodia, Cook Islands, Timor-Leste, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Indonesia, Kiribati, Laos, Malaysia, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Myanmar, Nauru, New Zealand, Niue, Palau, Papua-New Guinea, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Thailand, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu and Vietnam

        This is the Guide for sponsoring a spouse from Bangladesh, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Japan, Maldives, Mongolia, Pakistan, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Taiwan

        This is the Guide for sponsoring a spouse from Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela

        This is the Guide for sponsoring a spouse from the United Kingdom, Albania, Andorra, Austria, Azores, Belgium, Bosnia, Herzogovina, Canary Islands, Croatia, Czexh Republic, Denmark, Faeroe Islands, Finland, france, Germany, Greece, Greenland, Hyngary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Borway, Portugal, San Marino, Serbia and Montenegro, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Vatican City   
1.j     http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3902E.pdf
        This is the Guide for sponsoring a spouse from Armenia, Belarus, Bulgaria, Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Russia and Ukraine

2.    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM1344EA.pdf
This is the application form to sponsor - form IMM-1344A

This is the sponsorship agreement - Form IMM-1344B

This is the Sponsorship Evaluation Form IMM-5481

This is a statutory declaration of a common-law marriage - FORM IMM-5409

This is the Sponsor Questionnaire - Form IMM-5540

This is an authority to release information - FORM IMM-5540

This is a document Checklist - Form IMM-5491

This is where you order your official receipt

This is your actual Application for Permanent Residence - FORM IMM-0008GEN

This is your Background Declaration - FORM IMM-008_1

This is your additional family information - FORM IMM-5406

This is your spouse or conjugal partner questionnaire -= FORM IMM-5490

14.    The Above PLUS a police report from your local police station (See
the guide for details) applies to those being sponsored from the UNITED
STATES. There is a separate brochure for every country.  If you are reading
this and are from any other country (Australia, Brunei, Austria, Venezuela,
etc) goto

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/fc.html for other country

This is the self-assessment test for an individual to determine his or her
eligibility to immigrate to Canada without being sponsored by a spouse.

I know this will help you make your decision.  If we can help you, remember,
that is what we do for a living.  In particular you should goto
www.centa.com and click on and read US/Canada taxation BEFORE you come.

Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"

Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air
every Sunday morning.

Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier
Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS

Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet


Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - Long distance calls to 1-866-778-0600.

Old shows are archived at the site.

This from ask an income tax immigration planning and bankruptcy expert
consultant guru or preparer  from
www.centa.com or www.jurock.com or
www.featureweb.com. Canadian David Ingram deals daily with tax returns
dealing with expatriate:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate gambling refunds for
the United States, Canada Mexico Great Britain the United Kingdom, Kuwait,
Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa,  Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt, Antarctica,
Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia,
Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana,
Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok,
Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,,
Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, American and Canadian and Mexican and any of the
43 states with state tax returns, etc.
income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors experts  specialist
specialists  consultants taxmen taxman tax woman planner planning

preparer of Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
 California Denver  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware District of Columbia Miami  Florida,
Garland Georgia,  Honolulu Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
 Indiana Des Moines Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky,
 Louisiana  Bangor Maine  Maryland  Boston, Massachusetts, Michigan,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Paris,  Rome, Sydney, Australia Hilton
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard -

 David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321
[email protected]
www.centa.com www.david-ingram.com

Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader & the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or
advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration
specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at
www.centa.com. If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be

 ask international non-resident income tax expert preparation & immigration
consultant david ingram, experts on rentals mutual funds  RRSP RESP IRA
401(K) & divorce CKBD 600AM 9 AM Sunday on Fred Snyder's IT's YOUR MONEY

David Ingram specializes in giving expert income tax and immigration help to American and Canadian citizens living out of their home countries from Zimbabwe to Saudi Arabia to Mexico to China or Chile - Cross border, Non-resident - dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled with competence and authority.

David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident
Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Saudi Arabia to Mexico
to China or Chile - Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments
are all handled with competence & authority.

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.15/1249 - Release Date: 29/01/2008 9:51 AM


Trackback URL for this entry: http://www.centa.com/trackback.php/CanWeekofMon20080128000549.html

No trackback comments for this entry.