Need a bankruptcy Lawyer -

Just read your article on the Internet.  If you could refer us to a lawyer in Burnaby or Surrey or anywhere is fine also.

david ingram replies at 3:30  AM after attending the midnight showing of the new Batman movie and being the oldest guy in the theater.

You do NOT look in the Yellow Pages for a trustee and you do not even  talk to a trustee until you have talked to a  bankruptcy lawyer.  Why?  Because the trustee does NOT really work for you no matter how nice they are.  The bankruptcy trustee works for the creditors as soon as you sign that paper.  His or her job is to get the most for the creditors and only give you the amounts proscribed by the BC Bankruptcy ACT.

I have lectured on bankruptcy, written about bankruptcy and counseled bankrupts on their finances.  I 'thought' i understood it until i fell into the clutches of Deloitte And Company who behaved (in my opinion) in an unacceptable manner to me.  The trustees first words to me when he walked into the boardroom where I was sitting was 'Mr Ingram, aren't you ashamed to be here?'' I can only say that it got worse from there. 

And their work was not up to snuff.  They tried to take the whole house and then had to give half of it back to my wife.  In their initial report, they missed an $80,.000 mortgage on the house even though it was prominently displayed on my original statement. He actually accused me of lying about it at our first creditors meeting even though it was declared and registered against the house.

So, I know whereof  I speak.  I finally asked another bankruptcy trustee for the name of a bankruptcy lawyer and he sent me away out to Surrey (where i think you might be living) and I consulted with Murray Morrison, a marvelous lawyer who specializes in bankruptcy.  The situation changed almost immediately and even though I had originally offered $1,000 a month for ten years as a settlement  before the actual receivership (thankfully it was turned down by the Tax department) , Murray Morrison negotiated a settlement of $800  a month for 3 years and gave me my life back.

See Murray at, call him at (604) 930-9013 or write him at [email protected].  Remember that anything you tell a bankruptcy trustee can and WILL be used against you for the benefit of your creditors.  Your lawyer has privileged communication and can give you an honest answer without it affecting the relationship you have with the receiver.

Even if you have a lawyer who has worked with you over a dozen property transfers, DO NOT USE A LAWYER who specializes in anything but bankruptcy.

Above all, remember that 'nobody wins' in these matters.  Do your best to straighten up with Dr Swingle first.  If your debts are from when you were a Realtor, paying them off will be a tax deduction against other income and only cost you half as much. Get your psyche again and $200,000 or $300,000 again for three years and you can get out of it.

Good luck

You can read an article I wrote about my own travails in the Western Investor at  -


david ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325

Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -  (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office) expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax  service help.
pert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax  service and help.
David Ingram gives expert income tax service & immigration help to non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Mexico  family, estate, income trust trusts Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled with competence & authority.
Phone consultations are $450 for 15 minutes to 50 minutes (professional hour). Please note that GST is added if product remains in Canada or is to be returned to Canada or a phone consultation is in Canada. ($472.50 with GST for in person or if you are on the telephone in Canada) expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax  service and help.
This is not intended to be definitive but in general I am quoting $900 to $3,000 for a dual country tax return.

$900 would be one T4 slip one W2 slip one or two interest slips and you lived in one country only (but were filing both countries) - no self employment or rentals or capital gains - you did not move into or out of the country in this year.
$1,200 would be the same with one rental
$1,300 would be the same with one business no rental
$1,300 would be the minimum with a move in or out of the country. These are complicated because of the back and forth foreign tax credits. - The IRS says a foreign tax credit takes 1 hour and 53 minutes.
$1,600 would be the minimum with a rental or two in the country you do not live in or a rental and a business and foreign tax credits  no move in or out

$1,700 would be for two people with income from two countries

$3,000 would be all of the above and you moved in and out of the country.
This is just a guideline for US / Canadian returns
We will still prepare Canadian only (lives in Canada, no US connection period) with two or three slips and no capital gains, etc. for $200.00 up. However, if you have a stack of 1099, or T3 or T4A or T5 or K1 reporting forms, expect to pay an average of $10.00 each with up to $50.00 for a K1 or T5013 or T5008 or T101 --- Income trusts with amounts in box 42 are an even larger problem and will be more expensive. - i.e. 20 information slips will be at least $350.00
With a Rental for $400, two or three rentals for $550 to $700 (i.e. $150 per rental) First year Rental - plus $250.
A Business for $400 - Rental and business likely $550 to $700
And an American only (lives in the US with no Canadian income or filing period) with about the same things in the same range with a little bit more if there is a state return.
Moving in or out of the country or part year earnings in the US will ALWAYS be $900 and up.
TDF 90-22.1 forms are $50 for the first and $25.00 each after that when part of a tax return.
8891 forms are generally $50.00 to $100.00 each.
18 RRSPs would be $900.00 - (maybe amalgamate a couple)
Capital gains *sales)  are likely $50.00 for the first and $20.00 each after that.

Catch - up returns for the US where we use the Canadian return as a guide for seven years at a time will be from $150 to $600.00 per year depending upon numbers of bank accounts, RRSP's, existence of rental houses, self employment, etc. Note that these returns tend to be informational rather than taxable.  In fact, if there are children involved, we usually get refunds of $1,000 per child per year for 3 years.  We have done several catch-ups where the client has received as much as $6,000 back for an $1,800 bill and one recently with 6 children is resulting in over $12,000 refund. 

Email and Faxed information is convenient for the sender but very time consuming and hard to keep track of when they come in multiple files.  As of May 1, 2008, we will charge or be charging a surcharge for information that comes in more than two files.  It can take us a valuable hour or more  to try and put together the file when someone sends 10 emails or 15 attachments, etc. We had one return with over 50 faxes and emails for instance. 

This is a guideline not etched in stone.  If you do your own TDF-90 forms, it is to your advantage. However, if we put them in the first year, the computer carries them forward beautifully.


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.