U.S visa to work on own properties -

If i own properties within an american llc can i then sponsor myself as an employee of my company for a visa, thus allowing me to do work on my properties personnally?

david ingram replies:

There is no visa to work for your own rental properties. However,

If you had a business as an E2, there would not be anything to stopyour E2 company from doing work for your properties.

If you had an E5 visa, you get an automatic green card and can doanything except run for president of the US.

You can sponsor yourself as an E2 or E5 as follows:

QUESTION: Hi there,

I am a Canadian citizen. Currently, my husband is working overseas andwe are living in Saudi Arabia as non-resident of Canada. Currently, Idon't have any property in Canada.

I would like to purchase/invest in a business in US and would like toobtain an E-2 visa. What are the legal procedures and documentationthat are required to obtain such visa? To apply for this, do I need tohave a house in Canada or not.

I am looking forward to your quick response at your earliestconvenience.


david ingram replies:

An E2 visa is available to you whether you are in Canada or not. Itdepends upon your Nationality not where you are living.

If you go to www.centa.com, you will find (in thetop left hand box) the January 1995 newsletter on E-2 Visa by DennisOlsen, former US in Vancouver and an issuer of E2 visas until they weremoved to Toronto. In January 2006, the processing of E2s was opened upin Vancouver again and can be processed through the US Consulate inVancouver if you are from BC and / or the Yukon. All other Canadiansmust go through the Toronto Consulate -
find more at http://www.amcits.com/evisa.asp

Start by reading the January 2005 newsletter. It will give you therules and it is my impression that the approval is a little easier thanthis newsletter states now.

You can start the process and maybe make it a little cheaper by fillingout Form DS156 at - https://evisaforms.state.gov/ds156.asp
Note that this is a fillable form

You will also need DS156E - http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/79963.pdf

You might need DS157 - http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/79964.pdf

You should fill in DS158 for your contact information and work history - http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/79965.pdf

You can also see basic instructions at http://evisaforms.state.gov/default.asp

Note that with an E-2, your husband can obtain a work authorization towork somewhere else as a rule.

There will be a couple of more forms but this will get you off to agood start and you can do it yourself. However, be careful if you lookfor outside help.

If you need legal help, and are from BC or the Yukon specifically (oranywhere else in Canada), I could suggest

David Anderrson LLB, AILA
200-1095 West Pender Street (same building as US Consulate)
Vancouver BC
V6E 2M6
(604) 608-0818 -

David just presented an excellent seminar in Vancouver on E-2 Visas andhas an interesting proposal for an E-5 Visa which requires $500,000 US but is a far superior visa than an E-2.

If you are from Quebec in particular,

Dan Cuppett, JD, AILA
57 Court Street
Plattsburgh, New York
USA 12901
(518) 566-6666
is an Immigration attorney who specializes in Canadians (particularlythose from Quebec) to the USA.

I would give you Dennis Olsen's(author of the Jan 1995 newsletter) number as well but have not heard from him for the last while and whenI did try and phone him on Thursday, could not find a phone number forhim so he must be in the process of moving, or might even have retired,etc.

And note this well. All your documentation for Toronto MUST be in theformat which you can find at: http://toronto.usconsulate.gov/content/visas/E-28_TI.pdf

If it is not in this format, Toronto will reject the wholeapplication.

Vancouver also has its own rules as in

Mandatory Formatting Instructions for Treaty Investor (E-2) VisaSubmissions
Effective Date: 01 August 2006
Non-compliant submissions will be rejected as of: 01 September 2006
Effective immediately, the Consulate in Vancouver now requires allcases to be
submitted in the following format. The E Visa Unit will not accept noncompliant cases
for processing as of 01 September 2006.
All submissions must be organized into the sections below. Submissionsmust be bound
and the sections must be delineated by clear dividers with tabs thatstick out from the
edges of the page. Divider pages without tabs are not acceptable. Ifthere are more than
two documents under one of the numbered tabs, you must subdivide thenumbered
sections into lettered subsections with tabs.
Your submissions must be organized in such a way that the reviewer canlocate all of the
relevant facts to make an adjudication within 5-10 minutes.
Once your submission is prepared as indicated below, submit it to ouroffice by mail or
courier. Our addresses for various types of shipments may be found at:
http://www.usconsulatevancouver.ca/content/content.asp?section visas8document evisa
Required format and contents:
The cover page and application forms must be loose (unbound to the restof the package)
and placed on top of the submission package.
Application Requirements (unbound underneath cover page and on top ofthe documents
brief in the following order):
1. All DS-156, 156E, and 157 forms, filled out using the electronicvisa application
forms =96 link available on Toronto=92s website (Please note: we requireDS-157
forms for all applicants over the age of 16, without regard to age orgender);
primary contact email address must be placed in block 23 on the DS-156;be
certain to fill in EVERY block on all forms and sign and date; submitonly signed
original forms.
2. 2X2 passport-style photograph on plain white background taken withinthe last
six months. One for each applicant. See photograph requirements on ourwebsite
for further details.
3. Certified check or international money order payable to the U.S.Consulate
General Vancouver in the amount of $100 US per applicant.
4. Dependents =96 provide copy of marriage certificate for spouse andcopies of birth
certificates for all children under the age 0f 21. Staple these to theDS-156
applications of the dependents applicants.
5. Attached to DS-156 for each applicant, include a signed statement ofthe
applicant=92s intentions regarding the temporary or permanent nature oftheir stay in
the United States.
E-2 Requirements:
You must organize the tabbed exhibits following the number/letteroutline below. You
must submit all of the documents noted here, unless otherwise indicated.
1. Summary
a. Concise comprehensive brief of relevant facts
● Be brief, state exactly and precisely how the enterprise qualifies
● Do not waste space with lengthy citation of CFR or FAM texts
● Make specific reference to supporting documentation, for example:
=93The Canadian parent company is owned 100% by the applicant.
See organizational documents showing the corporation is
authorized to issue 250 shares (tab 3C(i), relevant portion
highlighted), and the applicant=92s stock subscription agreement and
share certificate for 250 shares (tab 3C(ii)).=94
b. Comprehensive Index/Table of Contents

2. Nationality of the Individual Beneficiary
a. Photocopy of the passport biographic page for investor(s)/employee(s)
followed by copy for each dependent family member
b. Photocopy of landed immigrant card
3. Nationality of the Company/Evidence of Controlling Interest
If your company is an incorporated entity:
a. Chart of ownership of the enterprise
b. Articles of Incorporation and certificate of existence/registration=66rom the
state/province in which the company is incorporated.
c. Ownership:
● If privately held by a small group of shareholders, submit i)
evidence of the total number of shares outstanding, and who holds
each, and ii) evidence of the treaty country nationality of the
owners of at least 50% of the outstanding stock =96OR-
● If publicly traded, submit i) notarized statement from a duly
authorized corporate officer stating all of the stock exchanges on
which the company is traded, ii) the volume of stock traded on
each exchange (see 9 FAM 41.51 N3.2), and iii) recently published stock
● Please note, for either of the above, if the ownership is traced to
another corporate entity (such as a holding or parent company
rather than an individual), you must also trace the ownership of the
holding company (ies) all the way back to the beneficial individual
-OR- if your company is a partnership, Joint Venture, LLC, or similar:
a. Partnership or Joint Venture Agreement
b. Shares/stock certificates indicating total partnership units issuedand
outstanding, and to whom they are issued
c. Please note, for either of the above, if the ownership is traced toanother
corporate entity (such as a holding or parent company rather than an
individual), you must also trace the ownership of the holding company
(ies) all the way back to the beneficial individual owners
-OR- if your company is a sole proprietorship:
a. Business Registration
b. Proof of ownership of business assets (real property, etc.)
4. Source of Investment
a. Detailed statement by applicant explaining how funds used in the
investment were acquired or accumulated
b. Debit and credit services for personal and/or business accountwithdrawals
c. Documentation demonstrating how funds were acquired or accumulated:
● Transactions showing payment of sold property or business (proof
of property ownership and promissory notes) and rental income
(lease agreements); -AND/OR-
● Last three years of personal tax returns; -AND/OR-
● Statement from individual providing money to investor as a gift
5. Evidence of Investment
For an existing enterprise:
a. Purchase agreement
b. Proof of financing and funds transfer:
i. Copies of canceled checks or wire transfers from investor for all
deposits, partial-payments or transactions paid in full
ii. All loan, promissory or mortgage documents AND security
agreement; AND, copies of canceled checks or wire transfer
receipts from investor demonstrating consistent payment of
financial obligations. A letter from the financier stating all
payments are current may also be accepted
iii. Escrow agreement, escrow account statement in the U.S., escrow
receipt, if applicable
-OR- for a new enterprise:
a. Inventory listing: shipment invoices of inventory, equipment orbusiness
related property
b. Receipts for inventory purchases
c. Canceled checks or official payment receipts for expenditures
d. Canceled check for first month=92s rent or full annual advance rentpayment
e. Lease agreement
f. Purchase orders
g. Improvement expenses
h. Initial business account statements
6. Marginality
a. U.S. corporate tax returns
b. Latest audited financial statement or non-review statement
c. Payroll register
d. W2 and W4 tax forms
e. Business plan (including pro forma financials for the first fiveyear of
7. Real and Operating Commercial Enterprise
a. Occupational license, business license or business permits
b. Business transaction records, current/commercial account statementsor
invoices from suppliers
c. Advertising leaflets, business brochures or promotional literature
8. If the applicant is an employee of the U.S. enterprise(executive/managerial;
and supervisory/essential skills):
a. Letter from Canadian company providing specific information on the
applicant and the reasons for his/her assignment to the U.S. The letter
must explain the employee=92s role in the U.S. company (job title and
duties), the applicant=92s executive or supervisory responsibilities or,if not a
supervisor, his/her specialist role, the level of education andknowledge
required by the employee=92s position, his/her employment experience,
progression of promotion or high level training or specialqualifications
and the reasons why a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident cannotfill
the position (if the position is not managerial or supervisory)
b. Evidence of E-2 company owner=92s nationality and immigration status in
the U.S.
c. Organizational chart showing current staffing pattern at U.S. company
d. Applicant=92s complete resume

You can see that there is a lot to do including a business plan (we canhelp here) to show that the enterprise will be a success.

Hope this helps - when you need tax help with all this, you knowwhere to turn.

david ingram


I would like to set up a legal structure
to do business consulting work in the US.

I am canadian citizen attending Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Currently, I workas a graduate student for the university on an F-1 VISA.
Academically, I also have an MBA, Bachelor of Education and a Bachelorof Arts in Mathematics. Professional, I have gained approximately 7years of professional experiences.

david ingram replies:

Off the top of my head you can NOT set up- a business structure to dowhat you want unless you put up the cash for an E2 or an E5 visa. SeeJan 1995 newsletter in top left hand box at www.centa.comfor info on an E2 visa.

If you have $500,000 US to invest, you can buy a green card in WhatcomCounty by investing in a Senior's home in Bellingham. Contact DavidAndersson at (604) 608-0818

What you likely need to do is obtain a TN as a management consultant. However you will need a US or a Canadian business that you do not ownto hire you. They can then sell your services to various otherorganizations.

To get a management consultant TN visa, you have to prove that you haveFIVE years experience in the field that you wish to consult in.


On April 6. 2008, DavidIngram wrote:

It is very unlikely that blind or unexpected email to me will beanswered. I receive anywhere from 100 to 700 unsolicited emails a dayand usually answer anywhere from 2 to 20 if they are not from existingclients. Existing clients are advised to put their 'name and PAYING CUSTOMER' in the subject lineand get answered first. I also refuse to be a slave to email and donot look at it every day and have never ever looked at it when I am outof town.
e bankruptcy expert US Canada Canadian American Mexican Income Tax service and help
However, I regularly search for the words"PAYINGCUSTOMER" and always answer them first if they did not get spammed out.For the last two weeks, I have just found out that my own email notesto myself have been spammed out and as an example, as I wrote this onDec 25, 2007 since June 16th, my 'spammed out' box has47,941 unread messages, my deleted box has 16645 I have actually lookedat and deleted and I have actually answered 1234 email questions forclients and strangers without sending a bill. I have also put aside847 messages that I am maybe going to try and answer because they lookinteresting. -e bankruptcy expert US Canada Canadian American Mexican Income Tax service and help
Therefore, if an email is not answered in 24 to48 hours, it is likely lost in space. You can try and resend it but if important AND YOU TRULY WANT OR NEEDAN ANSWER from 'me', you will have to phone to make an appointment. Gillian Bryan generally accepts appointment requests for me between10:30 AM and 4:00 PM Monday to Friday VANCOUVER (Seattle, Portland, LosAngeles) time at (604) 980-0321. david ingram expert US Canada Canadian American Mexican Income Tax service and help.
david ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver, BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604)980-0325

Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week Vancouver (LA) time - (please do not fax orphone outside of those hours as this is a home office) expert US Canada Canadian American Mexican Income Tax service help.
Disclaimer: This question has been answered without detailed information orconsultation and is to be regarded only as general comment. Nothingin this message is or should be construed as advice in any particularcircumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author andany and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readersshould obtain formal advice from a competent andappropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for experthelp, assistance, preparation, or consultation in connection withpersonal or business affairs such as at www.centa.com. If you forward this message, this disclaimer must beincluded." e bankruptcy expert US Canada Canadian American Mexican Income Tax service and help.
David Ingramgives expert income tax service & immigration help to non-residentAmericans & Canadians from New York to California to Mexico family, estate, income trust trusts Cross border, dual citizen - out ofcountry investments are all handled with competence & authority -dual citizenship
Phone consultationsare $450 for 15 minutes to 50 minutes (professional hour). Please notethat GST is added if product remains in Canada or is to be returned toCanada or a phone consultation is in Canada. ($472.50 with GST if inCanada) expert US Canada Canadian American MexicanIncome Tax service and help.
This is not intended to be definitivebut in general I am quoting $900 to $3,000 for a dual country taxreturn.
$900 would be one T4 slip one W2 slipone or two interest slips and you lived in one country only (but werefiling both countries) - no self employment or rentals or capital gains- you did not move into or out of the country in this year.
$1,200 would be the same with onerental
$1,300 would be the same with onebusiness no rental
$1,300 would be the minimum with amove in or out of the country. These are complicated because of theback and forth foreign tax credits. - The IRS says a foreign tax credittakes 1 hour and 53 minutes.
$1,600 would be the minimum with arental or two in the country you do not live in or a rental and abusiness and foreign tax credits no move in or out

$1,700 would be for two people with income from two countries

$3,000 would be all of the above andyou moved in and out of the country.
This is just a guideline for US /Canadian returns
We will still prepare Canadian only(lives in Canada, no US connection period) with two or three slips andno capital gains, etc. for $200.00 up.
With a Rental for $400, two or threerentals for $550 to $700 (i.e. $150 per rental) First year Rental -plus $250.
A Business for $400 - Rental andbusiness likely $550 to $700
And an American only (lives in the USwith no Canadian income or filing period) with about the same things inthe same range with a little bit more if there is a state return.
Moving in or out of the country orpart year earnings in the US will ALWAYS be $900 and up.
TDF 90-22.1 forms are $50 for thefirst and $25.00 each after that when part of a tax return.
8891 forms are generally $50.00 to$100.00 each.
18 RRSPs would be $900.00 - (maybeamalgamate a couple)
Capital gains *sales) are likely$50.00 for the first and $20.00 each after that.

Catch - up returns for the US where we use theCanadian return as a guide for seven years at a time will be from $150to$600.00 per year depending upon numbers of bank accounts, RRSP's,existence of rental houses, self employment, etc. Note that thesereturns tend to be informational rather than taxable. In fact, ifthere are children involved, we usually get refunds of $1,000 per childper year for 3 years. We have done several catch-ups where the clienthas received as much as $6,000 back for an $1,800 bill and one recentlywith 6 children is resulting in over $12,000 refund.

This is aguideline not etched in stone. If you doyour own TDF-90 forms, it is to your advantage. However, if we put themin the first year, the computer carries them forward beautifully.
This from "ask an income trusts tax service andimmigration expert" from www.centa.com or www.jurock.com or www.featureweb.com. David Ingram deals on a daily basis with expatriate taxreturns with multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriateproblems for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, UnitedKingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan,China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia,Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida,Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan,Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, StVincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, and any of the 43 stateswith state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas, San Antonio Houston,Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax andImmigration Tips, Income Tax Immigration Wizard AntarcticaRwanda Guru Consultant Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist expert preparer expatriate antimoney laundering money seasoning FINTRAC E677 E667 105 106TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions Grand Cayman ArubaZimbabwe South Africa Namibia help USA US Income Tax Convention. Adviceon bankruptcy e bankruptcy expert US Canada Canadian American Mexican Income Tax service and help .

David Ingram expert income tax service and immigration help andpreparation of US Canada Mexiconon-resident and cross border returns with rental dividend wagesself-employed and royalty foreign tax credits family estate trust trusts
income tax convention treaty advice on bankruptcy dual citizenship

New York, Boston, Sacramento,Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Atlanta,Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers, Cape Coral,Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay, Minot,Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, Moncton,Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego,Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City,Tulsa, Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello,Bellingham, Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, KansasCity, Lawrence, Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris,Prince George, Prince Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks,Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon, Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West,Cape Coral, Fort Meyers, Berlin, Hamburg, Warsaw, Auckland,Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai, Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo,Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red Deer, Olds, MedicineHat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie, Davidson,Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey,Edinburgh, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney,Nanaimo, Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne,Zurich, Kyoto, Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, BuenosAries, Squamish, Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne,Yorkshire, Hope, Penticton, Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge,Springfield, St Louis, Centralia, Bradford, Stratford on Avon, NiagaraFalls, Atlin, Fort Nelson, Fort St James, Red Deer, Drumheller,Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape Spears, Truro, Charlottetown,Summerside, Niagara Falls, income trust, Income Tax Treaty Convention. - e bankruptcyexpert US Canada Canadian American Mexican Income Tax service andhelp.
davidingramInternational non-resident cross border expert income tax service &immigration help estate family trust assistance expert preparation& immigration consultant, income trusts experts on rentals mutualfunds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce preparer preparersconsultants Income Tax Convention Treaty. adviceon bankruptcy expert US Canada Canadian American Mexican Income Taxhelp dual citizenship
Be ALERT, the world needs more "lerts". bankruptcy expert US CanadaCanadian American Mexican Income Tax service help. -expert us Canada Canadian Mexico income taxservice and help help