STUDIO - is it worth it to open a small business in my

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
I am retirering in two month and will make around 40,000.00/year in pension benefits. I want to do some tutoring to increase my income. I will charge $30.00to $35.00/ hre .  My question is:  Is there a significant tax advantage to declare it as a small business  or  not declare it.  I will make around $500.00/month = $5000.00/year.  I will use the new extension of my house ( 65 ft)plus toilet, living-room for parents to sit etc.  10% of my house. How much money can I expect to receive back or am I going to receive any money at all?...
Hope I explain myself well enough if not please email back.
david ingram replies;
Unless you make a profit, expenses for an office or studio in your home are not deductible.  In other words, you cn only use home office / studio expenses to reduce your income to zero, you can NOT deduct home office expenses against other earnings or against your pension income.
You can not deduct part of your living room or the bathroom if they are not exclusive to the business.  In other words, to deduct your living room, you would have to devote it to your parents and students and not use it for family get togethers or entertaining anyone who was not a student.
I will compare it to myself.  One room downstairs is dedicated to an office but I answer 19 out of 20 questions in my living room or dining room.  Both rooms have a networked computer in them but the basic use of the room is still as a family room and I choose to work here because I am in the same room with my kids (17 and 12) who also read my answers and tell me when they do not understand the answer.  I figure that if a 12 and 17 year old can get it, the rest of my audience should be able to as well.
My mother taught singing and piano in the middle of the living room so I have an idea of what you will be doing.
So what will your deduction be?  Your home is likely paid for so if I could assume that you are paying $3,000 in property taxes and $3,000 for heat and light, you have a $300 deduction at 5% or a $600 deduction at 10%.  Even if you have a $10,000 mortgage interest bill, it would only add another $500 or $1,000 to the deduction.
So, If you make $5,000 and get to deduct the $1,600, you will still be paying tax of about 30% of your $3,500 profit.
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet at 
Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - There is a provincial long distance line as well and old shows are archived at the site.
This from ask an income tax immigration planning and bankruptcy expert consultant guru or preparer  from or or Canadian David Ingram deals daily with tax returns dealing with expatriate:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate gambling refunds for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa,  Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt, Antarctica,  Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, American and Canadian and Mexican and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors experts  specialist specialists  consultants taxmen   taxman tax woman planner planning preparer of Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona, 
 California Denver  Colorado, Connecticut,  
Delaware District of Columbia Miami  Florida, 
Garland Georgia,  Honolulu Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
  Indiana  Des Moines Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky, 
 Louisiana  Bangor Maine  Maryland  
 Boston, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,  
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,  
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey, 
New Mexico,New York, North Carolina,  
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon. 
Paris,  Rome, Sydney, Australia Hilton
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall, 
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,  
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia, 
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, 
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, 
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City, 
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, 
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and 
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,  
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay 
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland 
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard 
wizard - David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321 
[email protected]
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader & the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment--


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.