dual citizen and a spouse wishing to move to Vancouver,

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
Have been truly enjoying your e-mail newsletter.
I have sent this question quite awhile ago, and haven't received the answer. (there was a time my e-mail was down, you probably tried.. sorry.)
My husband(50) is a dual citizen of Canada and USA; was granted Canadian citizenship (Jan/04) due to his mother being a Canadian.  I am a Japanese citizen(51) with PR/USA.  We just bought a condo which will be completed by spring/05 in Vancouver, BC, and hope to make a gradual move there over the next few years.  However, we both have jobs we like in Seattle, so hoping to be residents of BC while continuing to work at least p/t in Seattle.  I have various questions to prepare our move in financially/legally most effective ways.
As for legal aspects, if you don't deal with them, could you refer me an immigration lawyer?
1) I (a Japanese citizen with PR/USA) want to become a landed Canadian citizen down the road.  I heard that as person married to a Canadian citizen, I can start a process of applying for PR/Canada now although my Canadian spouse and myself are nonresident of Canada now? Also, I need to be living 2 years in Canada, out of 5 years of PR status, before I can apply for Canadian citizenship?
2)We will be leasing out the condo we purchased once it is completed next spring, until we sell our home in Seattle area some years down the road, then we plan to make the condo our resident, and commute to Seattle 2-4 days/week to work (and stay in Seattle for the duration of the week).
I understand that Canada will tax us for the income from USA.  Will this be a situation of a double taxation?
3) Are there other tax/legal considerations we need to know as we prepare for this plan during the next few years?
4) My application for PR/Canada, then eventually for a citizenship/Canada.  Will it affect my status as a PR/USA?  I am presently not planning to apply for US citizenship although I have been with PR/USA for the past 20 years.  My PR card will expire in 2007, but I will apply for the next card.
Do you handle immigration law as well as taxations?  When we start leasing the condo in Vancouver, BC, we would like you to prepare the tax for us.
Thank you very much for assitance to us as well as all the others.
david ingram replies:
This really  cannot be answered properly in this venue.  However, I will make some observations.
1. You have to be here 2 out of 5 years to keep your PR card alive.  However, if you move to Canada with a PR card, you are in danger of losing your US resident alien card.  Being here two out of five  years does NOT give you citizenship.
2.    You can buy a place in Canada and stay here two or three days a week without a PR card and then you will not interfere with your US resident Alien Card.  
3.    Dozens - but all can be handled one at a time.  Nothing takes affect until you go to rent the condo.  Then you need a form NR-6 filled in and a Canadian agent for your rental property.
4.    I do not understand why you do not take out your US citizenship.  If you do that first and "then" get your PR card in three years, it sounds like it would fit into your time schedule and leave you absolutely immune to problems at the border.  I have seen too many people try and do what you are proposing and lose their "green" card in the process.
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet at
Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - There is a provincial long distance line as well and old shows are archived at the site.
This from ask an income tax immigration planning and bankruptcy expert consultant guru or preparer  from www.centa.com or www.jurock.com or www.featureweb.com. Canadian David Ingram deals daily with tax returns dealing with expatriate:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate gambling refunds for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa,  Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt, Antarctica,  Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, American and Canadian and Mexican and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors experts  specialist specialists  consultants taxmen   taxman tax woman planner planning preparer of Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona, 
 California Denver  Colorado, Connecticut,  
Delaware District of Columbia Miami  Florida, 
Garland Georgia,  Honolulu Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
  Indiana  Des Moines Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky, 
 Louisiana  Bangor Maine  Maryland  
 Boston, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,  
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,  
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey, 
New Mexico,New York, North Carolina,  
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon. 
Paris,  Rome, Sydney, Australia Hilton
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall, 
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,  
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia, 
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, 
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, 
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City, 
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, 
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and 
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,  
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay 
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland 
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard 
wizard - David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321 
[email protected]
www.centa.com www.david-ingram.com
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader & the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at www.centa.com. If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.centa.com/CEN-TAPEDE/centapede/attachments/7c93cce6/attachment.htm
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment--


Trackback URL for this entry: http://www.centa.com/trackback.php/UsCaWeekofMon20040503001094.html

No trackback comments for this entry.