TN - getting married to US Citizen - ask an

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
Good afternoon!
I've currently renewed my TN status which will be valid until March 2005.  I am getting married in October 2004.  Do I need to wait to file a Fiance visa 90 days prior to the wedding?  I am already in the US, can I start the process early to apply for the green card?
david ingram replies:
Your company should apply for an H1 visa for you which will hopefully be issued in October (the earliest possible).
The H visa is a dual status visa and allows dual intent (i,e, to apply for permanent residence and possible citizenship).
Technically (others may disagree) your TN is not valid because you have a stated intention to marry and remain in the US for more than a year.  I am assuming here that that was your intent when you renewed the TN visa.
Whatever you do, DON'T cross the border to Mexico or Canada or the Bahamas or any other country until you are nice and clean.   If you do not get your H1 visa first, at least stay in the US and after the marriage apply for permanent status through your wife. You should apply for EAD/AP as soon as possible (by first getting married) and then STAYING PUT in US and at your job, until EAD/AP comes in (Form I130).  AFTER you get your EA (Employment Authorization)  through your spouse, you can consider a trip out of the USA.  Otherwise, it is stay in the good old USA time.  
Also remember, if you do not have it all in hand by next March, your TN will not be renewed.  I would suggest that a June wedding would be nice and get the process rolling. 
Any other suggestions anyone?
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet at 
Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - There is a provincial long distance line as well and old shows are archived at the site.
This from ask an income tax immigration planning and bankruptcy expert consultant guru or preparer  from or or Canadian David Ingram deals daily with tax returns dealing with expatriate:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate gambling refunds for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa,  Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt, Antarctica,  Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, American and Canadian and Mexican and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors experts  specialist specialists  consultants taxmen   taxman tax woman planner planning preparer of Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona, 
 California Denver  Colorado, Connecticut,  
Delaware District of Columbia Miami  Florida, 
Garland Georgia,  Honolulu Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
  Indiana  Des Moines Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky, 
 Louisiana  Bangor Maine  Maryland  
 Boston, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,  
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,  
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey, 
New Mexico,New York, North Carolina,  
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon. 
Paris,  Rome, Sydney, Australia Hilton
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall, 
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,  
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia, 
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, 
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, 
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City, 
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, 
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and 
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,  
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay 
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland 
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard 
wizard - David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321 
[email protected]
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader & the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment--


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.