Buying a Farm in BC CANADA,

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
My question is: Canadian-specific
QUESTION: I am buying an acreage in BC. I am told that I have to pay GST on the purchase price. Is this because it has farm status? Can I get the GST back?
david ingram replies;
Farms are tough and depends upon whether it is a working farm and being sold as a working farm or for the personal use of someone.   The decision on whether or not to charge GST is the decision of the vendor, not the purchaser.  If the vendor decides not to charge and the CRA decides that GST should have been charged, the vendor is liable for the tax because it is assumed that the price included the GST.  Therefore, a farmer who was a GST registrant is ALWAYS going to want to charge GST.
There is no general exemption for the sale of farm land 
*    A Farm Land Transfer to Family Members Exemption (Farming Exemption) 
However, there IS a limited exemption on the sale of farm land if: 
a.. the property was used by the individual himself and was farmed at any time; 
a.. immediately before transferring the property the property has been farmed; and 
a.. the new use of land must be personal to the individual or to the relative of the individual 
A similar exemption also extends to the sale by a corporation, partnership or trust with the same criteria as above. 
This prevents G.S.T. becoming payable on a deemed change of use of farm land to personal use or the conveyance of farm land to a family member.  
We just went through this with a working farm sold to someone who intended to farm it. GST was payable.  \r
a.. In this case,  to defer the GST, you must register as a farm yourself and then, after paying the tax,  you will get an input credit and a refund when you file your first return.  Recognizing that this can be an immense cash flow problem, the government has come up with form ????  or you can defer the tax by filling in a form ??? .  David Stoller, a lawyer in the same building as us at (604) 922-4702
can likely give you the name of the form and since he has just finished such a transaction for the seller is likely as good a lawyer as any to help with yours.
His office is at:
801-100 Park Royal South
West Vancouver, BC
V7T 1A2
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet at 
Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - There is a provincial long distance line as well and old shows are archived at the site.
This from ask an income tax immigration planning and bankruptcy expert consultant guru or preparer  from or or Canadian David Ingram deals daily with tax returns dealing with expatriate:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate gambling refunds for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa,  Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt, Antarctica,  Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, American and Canadian and Mexican and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors experts  specialist specialists  consultants taxmen   taxman tax woman planner planning preparer of Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona, 
 California Denver  Colorado, Connecticut,  
Delaware District of Columbia Miami  Florida, 
Garland Georgia,  Honolulu Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
  Indiana  Des Moines Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky, 
 Louisiana  Bangor Maine  Maryland  
 Boston, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,  
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,  
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey, 
New Mexico,New York, North Carolina,  
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon. 
Paris,  Rome, Sydney, Australia Hilton
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall, 
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,  
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia, 
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, 
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, 
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City, 
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, 
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and 
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,  
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay 
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland 
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard 
wizard - David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321 
[email protected]
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader & the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment--


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.