US worker for one year.- ask an international income

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
Hi David:
Thanks for the reply.
How can I convice CCRA that my intention was to leave
for more than a year? (which it was, I was even going
to apply for Green card, but then came recession and
layoffs!). What form do I need to use?
What is pro-rated exemptions?
It seems I have filed incorrectly
in US. I used turbo tax to do it, and I think that
software is used by US residents. IS it too late to
correct US one? what are the tax implications?
I may be intersted in hiring your firm if necessary to
correct these mistakes, I live in Toronto, how much
would you charge?
david ingram replies:
It is highly unlikley that you will "have to" convince anyone.  Just do the returns properly.  You might need a statement from firends that you intended to stay.  The fact that you were laid off helps.
Pro-ration of exemptions means that you can only claim an exemption for the number of days you were in Canada.
Therefore you will take the peersonal exemption amount on Schedule 1 of your return anddivide it by the number of days in Canada to calculate your exemption.
We would likley charge you $700.00 Canadian to correct the four returns.  If you were working in a state with a tax return, we will throw those in as well.
david ingram
--- "David Ingram at home - bus at [email protected]"
<david[email protected]> wrote:
> From:       
> My_question_is: Applicable to both US and Canada
> Subject:        Residency
> Expert:         [email protected]
> Date:           Monday May 10, 2004
> Time:           06:37 AM -0700
> Hello:
> I worked in US for 1 year (3 months in 2000 and 9 in
> months in 2001). I never visited canada during that
> period, and had no dependants or House in Canada,
> but was naive enough to keep my OHIP and driver's
> license (was not aware of the rules, and of course
> never used them)
> 1) Do I have to report my taxes to CCRA? 
> 2) If yes, do I have to pay CPP and EI too? 3) Is
> there a way to avoid penalty by trying the Volunteer
> program? 
> Thank you very much.
> ===============================
> david ingram replies:
> If you intended to go for more than a year and came
> back early, you do not have to report the money to
> the CRA but your returns for both years should have
> had pro-rated exemptions. In this case, you should
> have prepared Dual Status US 1040 Returns for both
> years.
> If you knew you were going for one year when you
> left, you DO need to report the US money to the CRA
> but can claim foreign tax credits in Canada for the
> Fed and state taxes and the FICA and medicare
> premiums you paid.  
> In this case, you should have filed a US 1040NR for
> 2000 and a dual status 1040 for 2001.
> Goto and read the [US/Canada Taxation]
> section.
> ==================================================
> Answers to this and other similar  questions can be
> obtained free on Air every Sunday morning.
> Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred
> Snyder of Cartier Partners and I will be hosting an
> INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR
> Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to
> listen on the internet at
> Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - There is a
> provincial long distance line as well and old shows
> are archived at the site.
> preparer of Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona, 
>  California Denver  Colorado, Connecticut,  
> Delaware District of Columbia Miami  Florida, 
> Garland Georgia,  Honolulu Hawaii,  Idaho, 
> Illinois,
>   Indiana  Des Moines Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky, 
>  Louisiana  Bangor Maine  Maryland  
>  Boston, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,  
> Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,  
> Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey, 
> New Mexico,New York, North Carolina,  
> North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon. 
> Paris,  Rome, Sydney, Australia Hilton
> Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall, 
> South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,  
> Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia, 
> West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, 
> British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, 
> Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City, 
> New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, 
> Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and 
> Northwest and Nunavit Territories,  
> Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay 
> and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland 
> Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard 
> wizard - David Ingram's US/Canada Services
> US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa
> Specialists
> US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
> 4466 Prospect Road
> North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
> Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
> Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
> Bus (604) 980-0321 
> [email protected]
> Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without
> detailed information or consultation and is to be
> regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this
> message is or should be construed as advice in any
> particular circumstances. No contract exists between
> the reader & the author and any and all
> non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All
> readers should obtain formal advice from a competent
> financial, or real estate planner or advisor &
> appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or
> immigration specialist in connection with personal
> or business affairs such as at If you
> forward this message, this disclaimer must be
> included."
> This from ask an income tax immigration planning and
> bankruptcy expert consultant guru or preparer  from
> or or
> Canadian David Ingram deals
> daily with tax returns dealing with expatriate:
> multi jurisdictional cross and trans border
> expatriate gambling refunds for the United States,
> Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom,
> Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, 
> Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt, Antarctica,  Japan,
> China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy,
> Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia,
> Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana,
> Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan,
> Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland,
> Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent,
> Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, American and
> Canadian and Mexican and any of the 43 states with
> state tax returns, etc.
> income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors
> experts  specialist specialists  consultants taxmen 
>  taxman tax woman planner planning 

Do you Yahoo!?
Win a $20,000 Career Makeover at Yahoo! HotJobs
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment--


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.