Working as a Manufacturers rep in Canada and entering

Dear Dave,
I am considering opening my own rep agency, and have several customers
already lined up. One is a Canadian Company which I would be selling in
Quebec, and another is an international based company with offices in
Montreal, and U.S.A. The job would involve representing at trade shows,
conducting meetings etc with various dealers in the United States. Right now
I have an L1B to conduct this with my present employer, who would become a
customer of mine for my rep agency.
What would be appropriate to do, if anything, If I was incorporated. I have
seen many individuals crossing the border to conduct regular business in
similar situations without the need for any particular visa etc. Your advice
and guidance would be valuable.
david ingram replies:
As a manufacturer's rep selling  for German French, British, Canadian and
any other countries' manufacturers, you can enter the USA to sell their
products under a B1 status .  However, if you have just "one" identifiable
US made product in your catalogue, you cannot enter the US to sell anything.
You can represent the US company in Canada, but not the USA.
A visa will be difficult unless you establish your own company and wait a
You might want to think twice about the project or set up something for
yourself and do the rest through your present company and the existing L1.
Of course, the L1 will run out.  You might want to move to the US and apply
for a green card while this is going on.
Another solution would be to start a business with an E2 visa.  Goto and reand the January 1995 newsletter for a description of the
E2 visa.
It will take a while to become official no matter what you do.
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air
every Sunday morning.
Starting this Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of
Cartier Partners and I, David Ingram  will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but
LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet
at <>
This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert" from
<>  or <>  or <> . David Ingram deals on a
daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the
United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, Kuwait,
Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France,
Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia,
Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran,
India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK,
GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas,
San Antonio and Houston Texas
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration
Tips, Income Tax and ImmigrationWizard Income Tax and Immigration Guru
Income Tax and Immigration Consultant Income Tax  and Immigration Specialist
Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist
expert preparer consultant expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning
FINTRAC E677 E667 4789 4790 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico,New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris
Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
(604) 980-0321
New email to [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> <>
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist in connection with personal or business
affairs such as at <> . If you forward
this message, this disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
Version: 6.0.688 / Virus Database: 449 - Release Date: 5/18/04
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
Version: 6.0.688 / Virus Database: 449 - Release Date: 5/18/04


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.