TN visa - Detroit - Windsor -- Niagara Falls - St

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
Hi! I am a pharmacist working in US  on a TN visa. I just moved and didn't 
declare non-residency yet.  I have an opportunity to work in Canada 
Am I able to do it? How would I be taxed? 
Would I be taxed on 
my combined income in the US and Canada? 
Thank you, 
david ingram replies:
If you give up your home in Canda and move tot he USA under a TN visa you have left Canada for tax purposes.  You will simply check off that you have left and put the date on page 1 of your next Canadian Income Tax return.
If you keep a home and family in Canada it is a different situation.
If you are now living in the US in Detroit (as an example) and come across to Canada two days a month to work, you will pay Canad tax on the Canadian earnings and then report the earnings again on your US tax return and "calculate but not 'pay' tax again" to the US. The reason you will not likely owe tax to the US on the money is that you will claim a foreign tax credit on form 1116 for the tax paid to Canada.  
However, you might have to pay tax to the US only if you file a Canadian tax return and claim the benefits of The US / Canada Income Tax Convention.  Article XV exempts earnings of up to $10,000.  So!  If you only earned $8,000 in Canada, you would NOT pay tax to Canada but would only pay tax to the US.  And if you earned $10,001 in Canda, you would pay tax to Canada and claim the credit in the US.
But there is one more wrinkle (this is sort of like drug interactions). If you earned that $8,000 mentioned above, your employer would also have deducted EI and CPP.  Those are considered federal taxes for the purposes of the US tax credit.  So, even though you did not pay "income tax" to Canada you did pay federal taxes and these are a foreign tax credit you can claim on your US form 1040 schedule 1116.
I, of course, would be pleased to look after this first US / Canada tax return for you.  In general, the fee is $700 to $1,400 Cdn for the first year.
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet at 
Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - Long distance calls to 1-866-778-0600. 
Old shows are archived at the site.
This from ask an income tax immigration planning and bankruptcy expert consultant guru or preparer  from or or Canadian David Ingram deals daily with tax returns dealing with expatriate:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate gambling refunds for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa,  Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt, Antarctica,  Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, American and Canadian and Mexican and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors experts  specialist specialists  consultants taxmen   taxman tax woman planner planning preparer of Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona, 
 California Denver  Colorado, Connecticut,  
Delaware District of Columbia Miami  Florida, 
Garland Georgia,  Honolulu Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
  Indiana  Des Moines Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky, 
 Louisiana  Bangor Maine  Maryland  
 Boston, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,  
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,  
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey, 
New Mexico,New York, North Carolina,  
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon. 
Paris,  Rome, Sydney, Australia Hilton
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall, 
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,  
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia, 
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, 
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, 
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City, 
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, 
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and 
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,  
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay 
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland 
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard 
wizard - David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321 
[email protected]
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader & the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment--


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.