Income Tax for North Vancouver Resident who married a

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
To: [email protected] 
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 7:12 PM
Subject: income tax
Hi Sonja
I had emailed David last week but I suspect that he is a busy fellow.
My situation in a nut shell:
Moved from Canada to the US on an H1B visa in Feb 2004. 
In Canada, I still maintain a consultation type relationship (via email/phone) with my former employer in BC and they mail the paycheques to my moms home in Victoria. (she deposits them into my bank account and I will earn below $6,000 in 2004) I have in Canada - credit cards, checking acct, savings acct, RRSPs but no home, vehicle, belongings.
In New York, I got married to a US citizen in March and we are beginning the process of applying for permanent residency for me based on spousal sponsorship. I have a job at NYU and joint bank account with my husband.
My need is for someone to help me with my taxes for 2004, and perhaps recommend now what I should be doing with all my Canadian accounts/cards/RRSPs in order to minimize the taxes etc. in the future.
Can you help me? If so, please let me know how much a consultation would be and what other information you require at that time. I will be visiting North Vancouver in July 2004 if necessary.
thanks in advance
david ingram replies:
If you are married to an American and in the process of getting a resident alien card, you do not need to worry about Canadian income tax.  Under Article IV of the US / Canada Income Tax Convention you will be a taxalbe resident of the USA..
However, I have ONE BIG WARNING for you.  If you have your green (resident alien) card in process, DO NOT leave the USA for any reason unless you get specific written permission to leave from Homeland Security.
If you leave the USA (even with an H1-B visa) you will not be allowed back in until or unless the green card is approved.
  When it comes time to do your 2004 returns, I will be happy to help.  We will have to do a departing Canada return and a joint return for you and your hyusband for New York State, the Federal US 1040 and the New York or Bronx or other borough city tax return for you.
Usually, we would elect to include your Canadian income as well and claim a foreign tax credit on your US return.
A phone consultation (which you should take advantage of) would be $350 CDN as a rule for up to an hour.
It would be very unsual for that to take place by July.  That means no trips to Bermuda, Africa, the Bahamas, Mexico, Jamaica, Argentina or Canada.
Forget about a romantic get-away to see the polar bears in Churchill or the giant tortoises in the Galapagos or the Penguins in Antarctica
A direct flight to Anchorage would be okay and a trip to Hawaii is okay but forget about any flight which "might" land in another country.
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet at 
Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - Long distance calls to 1-866-778-0600. 
Old shows are archived at the site.
This from ask an income tax immigration planning and bankruptcy expert consultant guru or preparer  from or or Canadian David Ingram deals daily with tax returns dealing with expatriate:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate gambling refunds for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa,  Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt, Antarctica,  Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, American and Canadian and Mexican and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors experts  specialist specialists  consultants taxmen   taxman tax woman planner planning preparer of Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona, 
 California Denver  Colorado, Connecticut,  
Delaware District of Columbia Miami  Florida, 
Garland Georgia,  Honolulu Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
  Indiana  Des Moines Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky, 
 Louisiana  Bangor Maine  Maryland  
 Boston, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,  
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,  
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey, 
New Mexico,New York, North Carolina,  
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon. 
Paris,  Rome, Sydney, Australia Hilton
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall, 
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,  
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia, 
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, 
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, 
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City, 
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, 
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and 
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,  
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay 
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland 
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard 
wizard - David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321 
[email protected]
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader & the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment--


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.