Dual US / Canada Citizenship RE-Entry Permit I-131 -

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
Hi David! Question: I recently married a Canadian who is an Alien =
Permanent Resident in the U.S. I don't know much about Dual Citizenship =
so can you please explain if it is possible for me to carry a Canadian =
Citizenship & keep my U.S. Citizenship and how I would go about =
obtaining it for Canada? I also have a retirement in an IRA and how =
would that play if I were to use some of it and I am 54 years old =
(penalty charges for early withdrawal). Also, how would my husband =
obtain dual citizenship for U.S?
Thank-you in advance.
david ingram replies:
For you to obtain Canadian Citizenship, your new husband would have to =
sponsor you as a permanent resident of Canada and you would have to move =
to Canada and essentially live here for five years.
In doing that, your husband would lose his (green card) resident alien =
status in the US unless he specifically asked for and obtained =
permission to leave the US and keep his Green card alive while gone.  To =
do this, he has to file for a reentry permit BEFORE he leaves the US.
He does not need to "receive" the permit before he goes but he does need =
to apply.
The current filing fee /cost for the I-131 is $165.00=20
Reentry Permits
Reentry permits are for people who hold green cards and know in advance =
that they will be outside the United States for more than one year. In =
these cases, the  the INS can allow you to stay away for up to two =
years. You must send in your application before leaving. If approved, a =
reentry permit will be issued and will serve as an entry document when =
you are ready to return.=20
Although re-entry permits cannot usually be renewed per se, you may =
apply for new ones when the first one expires.  The longest I have seen =
anyone out side of the US before returning is eight years. That man and =
his family are now US citizens after returning to the USA in June 1998.
Applying for a reentry permit involves filing immigration Form I-131 =
with the USCIS Nebraska Service Center, P.O. Box 87131, Lincoln, Neb. =
68501-7131, or call (402) 437-5218.
You can see the I-131 form at =
Any green card holder should read this form now.  The directions are =
full of tips and tricks that resident aliens Of the USA should know and =
be aware of: =20
In your case, your husband should get his US citizenship now and then =
you and he can come to Canada and return to the USA after with far less =
paperwork and hassles.
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air =
every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier =
Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called =
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the =
internet at
Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - Long distance calls to =
Old shows are archived at the site.
This from ask an income tax immigration planning and bankruptcy expert =
consultant guru or preparer  from www.centa.com or www.jurock.com or =
www.featureweb.com. Canadian David Ingram deals daily with tax returns =
dealing with expatriate:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate gambling refunds =
for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United =
Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa,  Thailand, =
Indonesia, Egypt, Antarctica,  Japan, China, New Zealand, France, =
Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, =
Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, =
Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, =
Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, =
US, UK, GB, American and Canadian and Mexican and any of the 43 states =
with state tax returns, etc.
income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors experts  specialist =
specialists  consultants taxmen   taxman tax woman planner planning =
preparer of Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,=20
 California Denver  Colorado, Connecticut, =20
Delaware District of Columbia Miami  Florida,=20
Garland Georgia,  Honolulu Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
  Indiana  Des Moines Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky,=20
 Louisiana  Bangor Maine  Maryland =20
 Boston, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, =20
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska, =20
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,=20
New Mexico,New York, North Carolina, =20
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.=20
Paris,  Rome, Sydney, Australia Hilton
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,=20
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, =20
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,=20
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,=20
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,=20
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,=20
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,=20
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and=20
Northwest and Nunavit Territories, =20
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay=20
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland=20
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard=20
wizard - David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321=20
[email protected]
www.centa.com www.david-ingram.com
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed =
information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general =
comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice =
in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader & =
the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. =
All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or =
real estate planner or advisor & appropriately qualified legal =
practitioner, tax or immigration specialist in connection with personal =
or business affairs such as at www.centa.com. If you forward this =
message, this disclaimer must be included."
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.centa.com/CEN-TAPEDE/centapede/attachments/150dae85/attachment.htm
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment--


Trackback URL for this entry: http://www.centa.com/trackback.php/UsCaWeekofMon20040621001227.html

No trackback comments for this entry.