San Francisco denizens have moved to Montreal as PR

My question is: Applicable to both US and Canada
QUESTION: My wife and I are US citizens who will become landed immigrants this month. We have been living in Quebec for one year, where we purchased a home. We also have a rental home in San Francisco, that we have owned for 16 years, that has appreciated considerably. There was some serious damage to our house in San Francisco, and we are now considering repairing it and selling it. Three questions:
1) if we sell it, will we have to pay the entire capital gains in both Canada and the USA (with the obvious double taxation exemption)- or - will we get some allowance in Canada as most of the gains occurred before we became Canadian residents?
2) if we reinvest the entire assets from the sale in property purchased in the USA, will we still be liable for Canadian capital gains
3) if we reinvest the entire assets from the sale in property purchased in Canada, will we be liable for capital gains in the USA?
david ingram replies:
1.    You are taxable on your world income since you came to Canada and "applied" for your PR status.  That likely means that you have to file a 2003 return for August to Dec 31 2003.
That return would include any pension, interest, dividend, wages and the rental income earned after you came to Canada.
2.    For "Canadian" Capital Gain Tax purposes, the value of the San Francisco house is its value the day you took up residence in Canada.
3.    If you sell within the next year or so, the house in San Francisco will be tax free if it was your principal residence up until the day you left the USA.  If it was always a rental, it will be subject to California and US federal tax first.  Canadian Tax second on the increased value after coming to Canada.
4. (your question 2)   If you do a seciton 1031 rollover in the US, Canada will not recognize the rollover and will still want tax on teh window of gain after you came to Canada.  If there was no gain on your particular property after coming to Canada, there would be no tax to Canada.  
5. (your # 3) You cannot to a cross border 1030 rollover.  The USA and California will want full tax.
This office is ideally suited to look after the tax returns you need prepared.
We can look after the US, California, and Canadian Federal/Quebec returns for you by mail, email, courier or fax.
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet at 
Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - Long distance calls to 1-866-778-0600. 
Old shows are archived at the site.
This from ask an income tax immigration planning and bankruptcy expert consultant guru or preparer  from or or Canadian David Ingram deals daily with tax returns dealing with expatriate:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate gambling refunds for the United States, Canada Mexico Great Britain the United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa,  Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt, Antarctica,  Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, American and Canadian and Mexican and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors experts  specialist specialists  consultants taxmen taxman tax woman planner planning  
preparer of Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona, 
 California Denver  Colorado, Connecticut,  
Delaware District of Columbia Miami  Florida, 
Garland Georgia,  Honolulu Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
 Indiana Des Moines Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky, 
 Louisiana  Bangor Maine  Maryland  Boston, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,  
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,  
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey, 
New Mexico,New York, North Carolina,  
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon. 
Paris,  Rome, Sydney, Australia Hilton
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall, 
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,  
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia, 
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, 
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, 
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City, 
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, 
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and 
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,  
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay 
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland 
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard 
wizard -
 David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
davidingram at
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader & the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.