Personal Income Tax for Canadian couples who were

Date:           Thursday August 26, 2004
Time:           01:20 PM -0700
I am going to get married on Nov 20, 2004. I started to work in B.C. on June 14, 2004. I have UI paid to me from Jan to Feb 2004. My finacee works throughtout the year. I would like to know for year 2004 personal income tax, should I choose to file the personal income tax return together with my husband-to-be or we should file it separately? Someone told me that if I want to have tax advantage, I have to get married after Dec 27, 2004. I don't understand why. I also want to know:
1) what are the tax advantage to file is together and separate?
2) In my case, should I file is together?
Thanks you very much for your help!
david ingram replies:
Before 1984 there was an advantage to getting married at the "end" of the year and I was married myself on Dec 31st, 1982. My new (and now ex) wife claimed "me" as her deduction.
That advantage was taken away in 84 or 85.
There is no advantage to you for being married on Dec 27th.
You will have to file your own tax return and your spouse will file their's. Each of you will have to put the other's name, line 236 net income amount,  and social insurance number on their own return in teh heading area of page one.
The only disadvantage you will have by being married is that your incomes are now added together for the purpose of either of you getting the GST credit and renter's and sales tax credits in some provinces 
There is no joint return in Canada although if either of you had an income of less than $8,000 total for the whole year and no tax deducted, you would not have to file your own return and your spouse would report your income on his or her return as above.  Some people use the term that you filed "together" but that is not the case.  Your spouse filed and you did not file (or vice versa) in that case.
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet at 
Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - Long distance calls to 1-866-778-0600. 
Old shows are archived at the site.
And if you live in the greater vancouver Area, you might want to come out ot one of our seminars.
Fred Snyder and I are giving free seminars on making your CANADIAN mortgage interest tax deductible at our new office at 
1764 West 7th
This is in the Spence Diamond Building at the corner of 7th and Burrard
and is very easy to find.
When:  Just about " Every"  Thursday Night
Time:      7 to 9 PM
RSVP:     phone (604) 731-8900 to reserve (limited to 15 people)
david ingram
This from ask an income tax immigration planning and bankruptcy expert consultant guru or preparer  from or or Canadian David Ingram deals daily with tax returns dealing with expatriate:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate gambling refunds for the United States, Canada Mexico Great Britain the United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa,  Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt, Antarctica,  Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, American and Canadian and Mexican and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors experts  specialist specialists  consultants taxmen taxman tax woman planner planning  
preparer of Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona, 
 California Denver  Colorado, Connecticut,  
Delaware District of Columbia Miami  Florida, 
Garland Georgia,  Honolulu Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
 Indiana Des Moines Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky, 
 Louisiana  Bangor Maine  Maryland  Boston, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,  
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,  
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey, 
New Mexico,New York, North Carolina,  
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon. 
Paris,  Rome, Sydney, Australia Hilton
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall, 
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,  
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia, 
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, 
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, 
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City, 
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, 
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and 
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,  
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay 
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland 
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard 
wizard -
 David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road (Personal residence by appointment only please)
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980- 0325
davidingram at
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered 
without detailed information or consultation and 
is to be regarded only as general comment.   
Nothing in this message is or should be construed 
as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract 
exists between the reader & the author and any and all 
non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.