Part II Lives in Vancouver wants to buy property in

My question is: Canadian-specific
QUESTION: I live in Vancouver and am considering purchasing a fourplex in Edmonton. I am considering setting up a company incorporated in Alberta to own/manage the property.  From a tax perspective is it better to do it that way or just own it personally. I will likely keep it for at least 15 years and use the rental proceeds to provide income when I retire (I am 48 and will likely retire when I am 55 to 58).
david ingram replies:
In my opinion, you should not incorporate.  Protect yourself from liability with a good insurance policy.  The incorporation will just complicate your life immeasurably and usually only makes money for the accountant and lawyer who incorporate you. There will be little or not escape from any personal liability.  Hydro will want a personal guarantee.  You are the director so if something goes wrong, you will be sued just as if you are the driver of a car owned by an incorporated comapny (i.e the director "drives" the company).
A holding company for rental real estate does NOT lower your income tax in the long run if your desire is to spend the profits for living.
You are close and might want to have a personal consultation.
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet at 
Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - Long distance calls to 1-866-778-0600. 
Old shows are archived at the site.
And you would also get a benefit by turning up (RSVP first) at one of our seminars.
Fred Snyder and I are giving free seminars on making your CANADIAN mortgage interest tax deductible at our new office at 
1764 West 7th
This is in the Spence Diamond Building at the corner of 7th and Burrard
and is very easy to find.
When:  Just about " Every"  Thursday Night
Time:      7 to 9 PM
RSVP:     phone (604) 731-8900 to reserve (limited to 20 people)
My time is still spent at my home office at:
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road (Personal residence by appointment only please)
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980- 0325
davidingram at
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered 
without detailed information or consultation and 
is to be regarded only as general comment.   
Nothing in this message is or should be construed 
as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract 
exists between the reader & the author and any and all 
non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at
david ingram
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.