Child born in US to Canadian Visa Holders - Ask an

We are in the US on a H1B/H4 Visa.  Should we have a child born in the US,
would he be automatically a US citizen?  What would his Canadian status be?
If he is a US citizen and we return to Canada, at what point would he start
to file his 1040's - when he starts earning taxable income? (I want to be a
fiscally responsible parent!).
Thank you.  I truly appreciate the advice you give to myself and others.
david ingram replies:
"Any" child born in the USA to anyone is automatically a US citizen just as
any child born in Canada to anyone is automatically a Canadian citizen.
This is NOT true for many countries such as Saudi Arabia. One lady I know
has two children born in Saudi Arabia and that information plus a quarter
will let you use a pay phone.  The children have no more rights in Saudi
Arabia than I have born in Vernon, British Columbia.  Now, if I was born in
Vernon to a Saudi Couple, I would be a Saudi citizen AND a Canadian.
Any US citizen living anywhere in the world should file their US return
every year even if they have no income.  This is because if you file every
year and report zero income, you are done and the most years that might be
looked at are three years back.
However, if you do not file your US returns, the IRS can ask for returns
back to 1967.
I have had Canada ask for 12 back years and the IRS ask for ten back years
in the last year.
Let me tell you that it is one pain in the neck trying to come up with ten
year old information.
My one American client was given a bill for $184,000 US and the Canadian
ended up with a bill for over $400,000.
$6,000 of accounting fees and two years later the American's bill (ML's) was
reduced to $146,00 but in the meantime his wife had left, they had lost the
house and his car and life is tough.
The Canadian is still trying to figure out whether to go bankrupt or not.
Neither have paid half of their bills but I have not written them off yet.
 So my advice to anyone and everyone is: FILE YOUR TAX RETURNS EVEN IF THERE
 Hope this helps
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air
every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Dundee Wealth
Management and I, David Ingram  will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk
show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet
at <>
Local calls are taken at (604) 280-0600 and Long Distance calls are taken at
1( 866) 778-0600
I do not know how far the LD line reaches.
This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert" from
<>  or <>  or <> . David Ingram deals on a
daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the
United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, Kuwait,
Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France,
Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia,
Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran,
India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK,
GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas,
San Antonio and Houston Texas
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration
Tips, Income Tax and Immigration Wizard Income Tax and Immigration Guru
Income Tax and Immigration Consultant Income Tax  and Immigration Specialist
Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist
expert preparer consultant expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning
FINTRAC E677 E667 4789 4790 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris
Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Email to taxman at <mailto:taxman at> <>
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist in connection with personal or business
affairs such as at <> . If you forward
this message, this disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
Version: 6.0.775 / Virus Database: 522 - Release Date: 10/8/04
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
Version: 6.0.775 / Virus Database: 522 - Release Date: 10/8/04


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.