Co-signer of mortgage wants to know if she has money

Hi, I was a co-signer for a home which has since been paid for (ie. there is no longer a mortgage on the home).  In addition, I have proof that I was the primary payor of the mortgage payment for approx. 4 - 5 years (ie. I still have cheque receipts indicating monthly payments of approx. $600/month).
If the house is sold, am I entitled to any of the money received by the current owners?
Many thanks for your time.
Have a good day!
david ingram replies:
This is impossible to tell from your question.
It depends upon the agreement you had with the owner of the property when you co-signed the mortgage.
I expect that you only co-signed with no thought of sharing in the profits.
Anyone who co-signs a loan agreement should have a side agreement that the "they" (the co-signer) gets the car, gets the property, shares in the sale proceeds, or at the very least, gets their money back if they are called upon to make payments on the loan they have co-signed for.
On the other hand, if it comes to co-signing the mortgage for a propeerty that you lived in for a while, the person might say that you were only paying rent and have no right to anything. If they had filed a rental statement showing your payments with their tax return, it would strengthen their argument.
And then, there is the constructive trust principal that says that if you acted like an owner of the property and did things that an owner would do, you can be ruled an owner and are entitled to a share of the proveeds on a proportional basis.
Read about a Constructive Trust in Nova Scotia at:
And a constructive Trust in a common-law relationship in Ontario at:
And one in Alberta where the wife won without making any actaul payments at:
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet at 
Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - Long distance calls to 1-866-778-0600. 
Old shows are archived at the site.
This from ask an income tax immigration planning and bankruptcy expert consultant guru or preparer  from or or Canadian David Ingram deals daily with tax returns dealing with expatriate:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate gambling refunds for the United States, Canada Mexico Great Britain the United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa,  Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt, Antarctica,  Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, American and Canadian and Mexican and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors experts  specialist specialists  consultants taxmen taxman tax woman planner planning  
preparer of Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona, 
 California Denver  Colorado, Connecticut,  
Delaware District of Columbia Miami  Florida, 
Garland Georgia,  Honolulu Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
 Indiana Des Moines Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky, 
 Louisiana  Bangor Maine  Maryland  Boston, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,  
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,  
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey, 
New Mexico,New York, North Carolina,  
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon. 
Paris,  Rome, Sydney, Australia Hilton
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall, 
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,  
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia, 
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, 
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, 
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City, 
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, 
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and 
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,  
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay 
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland 
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard 
wizard -
 David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road (Personal residence by appointment only please)
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980- 0325
davidingram at
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered 
without detailed information or consultation and 
is to be regarded only as general comment.   
Nothing in this message is or should be construed 
as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract 
exists between the reader & the author and any and all 
non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.