Grants and Scholarships for Canadian in US with H1-B -

Hi David,
This is my second try with this question.  I'm a
cross-border tax client of yours since 2002.  Or
Gail's.  I'm not sure any more.
Anyway, I'm in the U.S. on an H1-B working full-time
and am also a Ph.D. student.   I am wondering, if it
happened to be possible, that if I were able to get a
grant or scholarship for my dissertation research,
whether that would be considered income from a source
other than my employer and therefore be illegal.  I
don't have an issue with paying taxes on it if that's
what's required, but would it affect my visa status and
permanent residence petition (or whatever it's called)
that is in process for the next approx. 18 months yet?
Or would that depend on how the grant is used, i.e. if
it is used to purchased standardized tests, pay for
statistical analyses, etc., pay participants if need
be, as opposed to taking a leave of absence from work
to complete a phase of the research or write-up.
What do you think?  Your opinion is greatly valued
Best wishes,
P.S. Feel free to post this to your newsletter list if
you think it has value.
david ingram replies:
Gail no longer with me and has left the tax preparation
You deserve any grant or scholarship you can get. Go
for it!
It will not affect your H1B
I am 300 questions behind.  Next time put "paying
client" in the subject and I will likely pay more
attention.  In fact I erased about 300 questions last
week and sent out a notice all the questioners I had
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be
obtained free on Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred
Snyder of Dundee Wealth Management and I, David Ingram
will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to
listen on the internet at
Local calls are taken at (604) 280-0600 and Long
Distance calls are taken at 1( 866) 778-0600
I do not know how far the LD line reaches.
This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert"
from or or David Ingram deals on a daily basis
with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate
problems  for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great
Britain, the United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi
Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand,
France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil,
Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii,
Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India,
Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland,
Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent,
Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, and any of the 43
states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas,
San Antonio and Houston Texas
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income
Tax and Immigration Tips, Income Tax and
ImmigrationWizard Income Tax and Immigration Guru
Income Tax and Immigration Consultant Income Tax  and
Immigration Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6
NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist expert
preparer consultant expatriate anti money laundering
money seasoning FINTRAC E677 E667 4789 4790 TDF-90
Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system
Version: 6.0.786 / Virus Database: 532 - Release Date:
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.