PART II - W-7 form & Days in Tucson, Arizona,

 It's Your Money
Mr. David Ingram;
Thank you very much for choosing our question and your very explicit reply.
 We had sent in a W- 7 form twice, once making a guess as to how to complete
it, once with the advice of a US tax accountant over a very short
phone-call, and finally in the IRS office in Tucson.  None of the advice we
got ever mentioned that one cannot get a ITIN # until one submits an annual
 tax return.  The agent at the IRS office knew no more than we did and we
all were reading the instructions as if for the first time.  We are waiting
for an IRS response from this third try.
We are extremely unimpressed and frustrated.  .  The title company keep
telling us that their policy is not to release any money or close the deal
until the seller has an ITIN.  However I forwarded your reply (with
disclaimer) to them and that has got them moving.
We would like some help completing our US tax return.  Am I correct to
assume that all the  non-resident forms you mentioned are to accompany the
 annual tax return?  That would mean that we do all this in 2005.  We are
now in Green Valley AZ, close to Tucson, and will be here for the winter.
 How shall we communicate - by e-mail?
Yours truly,
Wendy Colpitts
david ingram replies:
The rules for getting an ITIN were changed on Dec 17, 2003 - the new form
and the rules are quite clear at:
The first paragraphs on page 2 (page one of the instructions) clearly tells
you to attach the W7 forms to the completed tax returns.  It is amazing that
you could go to the IRS office and use an accountant and not get that simple
advice. However, you are not alone.
When the US non-resident returns are prepared (we can do them about Feb 15,
2005) you take the returns AND your completed W7 forms to the Social
Security Office in Tucson.  There will be one with the IRS office.
The Social Security Office will verify who you are and make their own
certified copies of your Canadian Passports, driver's licences, birth
certificates, etc.  They will also take the tax return from you to send in.
(Now, I candidly admit that they could change this method before then.)\r
Make sure that the Escrow Agent breaks down the sale into TWO 8288 forms,
one for each spouse showing 1/2 the sale and 1/2 the tax deducted. If the
Escrow agent is still having trouble, have them phone me at (604) 980-0321
between 10 AM and 10 PM seven days a week.  I do NOT have an answering
service or machine.  It is impossible for me to return messages. I leave it
up to you to call back.  I am always busy from 6 PM to 10 PM on Tuesday
Evening (taking a UBC immigration course) and from 7 to 10 PM on Thursday
when I teach/give a seminar. I take the kids to a movie one night a week but
it varies and is usually for 7 to 10 PM.
You can deal with us easily by sending your 8288 forms (the one that shows
the sale and the tax withheld in your name (with no number), the original
statement of adjustments for the purchase, the original Statement of
adjustments for the sale, and a list of any capital items that you added to
the property (no Repairs and maintenance).
Additions would or could be:
*	connection to a sewer system
*	installation of a culvert
*	building or creating a driveway
*	paving an existing gravel driveway
*	installing a porch
*	building a canopy or extra roof over a mobile unit
*	installing air conditioning
*	erecting a television aerial you are leaving behind
*	Special assessments by a municipality
*	furniture you are leaving behind with a unit you sell
*	adding a sump pump
*	building a fence
*	building a rec room or Lanai
*	adding a garden shed, garage or carport
*	putting in a heat pump
*	Upgrading an electrical system
*	installing built in appliances you are leaving behind
*	building a brick outdoor barbecue
*	building a patio for the barbecue
*	installing a swimming pool
*	anything else that is an "addition" and not a repair of an existing item -
A problem arises when you improve an item while repairing.  If, for
instance, the bathroom requires $200 worth of plumbing repairs and you
decide to remodel and change all the fixtures and spend $10,000, the
addition would be the difference between $10,000 and the $200 repair and you
would add $9,800 as an addition.
You can use snail mail, fax, courier and email.  Please do NOT email 50
pages of scanned documents.  It takes too long to open, change sizes, etc.
One or two pages are okay but more than three is out.
Remember that this sale also has to be integrated with your Canadian
returns.  We can do the US 1040NR, the Arizona 140NR, the Canadian T1
returns and Quebec if you are from Quebec.
Most of the tax (if any) left or paid to the USA will be a dollar for dollar
credit on the Canadian returns.
The original question and answer follows
1. My husband and I have sold a property in AZ but cannot close the deal
until we get an ITIN.  We get conflicting advice as to how to complete the
form, even from IRS agents and have been rejected twice.  What options do we
tick off and what accompanying documents are actually required?
2. We know we will have to complete a few other US tax forms this year and
would like to know an tax accountant in TUCSON who knows Canadian needs (not
Mexican).  Can you recommend anyone?
3.  The requirement to be less than 184 days in the USA in a The US calendar
year states that 'days in transit' are not included.  Does apply to driving
through the country to reach one's destination (US home)?  We are 3 days
over since we had to come early to try to resolve this W-7 requirement;
should we be diligent about leaving the country before Dec. 31st this year?
david ingram replies:
Congratulations, this is the only question I picked out of 37 to answer
1.	There is no reason that you cannot close the deal without an ITIN.  On
Dec 17, 2003 the rules were changed and it became impossible to get an ITIN
until you filed the tax return.  I have at least a dozen returns right now
where the properties have been sold without an ITIN.  The Escrow agent sends
the money off on form 8288 without a number.
2.	Each of the owners needs to complete a federal form 1040NR and an Arizona
140NR. The 1040NR requires pages 1, 2, 5 and a Schedule E and the completion
of AMT (alternative Minimum Tax) Form 6251.  Note that on form 6251, you
have to write RPI beside line 30 and change the amounts according to the
instructions.  None of the computerized programs I have bought will do the
calculation correctly for a non-resident. I do not know of anyone in Tucson
who does it.  We would be happy to assist by email, snail mail,  fax or
3.	The US has the right to tax you on your world income if you are in the
USA for more than 183 days in any calendar year.  You do NOT want to be
there for more than 183 days.  Transit days refer to in transit from country
to country and does not apply to going into the US with a US destination.
(i.e. You are driving from Winnipeg to Mexico City - the days in transit
"through" the country do not count.)
So the answer is that you:
A.	Sell the property and the Escrow Agent sends 10% to the IRS using From
8288.  There should be one 8288 for you and one for your husband showing
half of the sale and half of the tax withheld.
B.	You will do the tax returns and submit the W7 forms with "US" certified
copies o f the required documents with the return.
I am not sure where you live from your email address (sometimes I can make a
pretty accurate guess).  If you are anywhere near the border, the easiest
method of  dealing with this is to drive the US tax return to the
Social Security Office (i.e. in the 100 block of Magnolia in Bellingham)
They take your application along with the tax return and send the return
along with a certified W7 Application.  Much simpler if you can find the
AND, if you wanted a free couple of minutes phone call, you can call as
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air
every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Dundee Wealth
Management and I, David Ingram  will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk
show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet
at <>
Local calls are taken at (604) 280-0600 and Long Distance calls are taken at
1( 866) 778-0600
I do not know how far the LD line reaches.
This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert" from
<>  or <>  or <> . David Ingram deals on a
daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the
United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, Kuwait,
Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France,
Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia,
Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran,
India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK,
GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas,
San Antonio and Houston Texas
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration
Tips, Income Tax and ImmigrationWizard Income Tax and Immigration Guru
Income Tax and Immigration Consultant Income Tax  and Immigration Specialist
Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist
expert preparer consultant expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning
FINTRAC E677 E667 4789 4790 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris
Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Email to taxman at <mailto:taxman at> <>
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist in connection with personal or business
affairs such as at <> . If you forward
this message, this disclaimer must be included."
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
Version: 6.0.788 / Virus Database: 533 - Release Date: 11/1/04


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.