Canadian Veterrinarian wants to work double in the USA

Hi david,
I saw on the internet that you seem to have a lot of
experience regarding some partnership questions...
I am a canadian and I have a TN visa for my regular
job.  I want to do some work with another veterinarian
and we would like to start a partnership to do some
consulting... can I do so with my TN visa?
Or I need some other types of visa?
thanks so much for your time.
david ingram replies:
I went to Ontario Veterinary College in the class of OVC 65 and tonight I had dinner with a lady whose father graduated in the class of OVC 50. My Uncle, Keith Robson graduated in the class of OVC 48.
In this case, the good news is that you have a TN and not an H1B or L type visa. You can only have one job with an H or L visa. With a TN, you can have multiple TN visas and the job can be part time.  I have assisted in the preparation of 8 TN visas for one person where he consults a day a month for five people and a day a week for three others.
An individual TN visa is only good for the employer it was issued for and it does not allow self-employment as such.  Your putative partner can hire you on a part time basis,  You can NOT set up as a partnership. you have to be his employee unless you get a Green (resident alien) card.
For other readers who are engineers, professors, architects, or any of the 63 recognized TN visa categories, my answer would be the same.  With a TN, you can have multiple jobs but it is extremely dangerous and risky to try for a Green Card with a TN.  If you are going to try for the Green card,  you should contact VERY competent US legal help.
If you have a green card application in motion, NEVER, EVER renew ytour TN visa at the border. Renew by mail.
A couple of examples can be found at,,
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet at 
Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - Long distance calls to 1-866-778-0600. 
Old shows are archived at the site.
This from ask an income tax immigration planning and bankruptcy expert consultant guru or preparer  from or or Canadian David Ingram deals daily with tax returns dealing with expatriate:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate gambling refunds for the United States, Canada Mexico Great Britain the United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa,  Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt, Antarctica,  Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, American and Canadian and Mexican and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors experts  specialist specialists  consultants taxmen taxman tax woman planner planning  
preparer of Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona, 
 California Denver  Colorado, Connecticut,  
Delaware District of Columbia Miami  Florida, 
Garland Georgia,  Honolulu Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
 Indiana Des Moines Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky, 
 Louisiana  Bangor Maine  Maryland  Boston, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,  
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,  
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey, 
New Mexico,New York, North Carolina,  
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon. 
Paris,  Rome, Sydney, Australia Hilton
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall, 
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,  
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia, 
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, 
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, 
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City, 
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, 
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and 
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,  
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay 
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland 
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard 
wizard -
 David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321 
davidingram at
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader & the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.