NR 6 NR4 tax computation on a property owned in Canada

We are  Canadian citizens living  in the US due to my husband's work.we own
a  property  that has been rented out in BC,Canada.what would be the tax
implication on a situation like this..
david ingram replies:
In Canada you have to file form NR-6 and have a tax agent sign it.  The CRA
will issue a Non-resident tax number and your agent will file an NR4 Summary
and Supplementary by March 31 of the following year (Mar 31, 2005 for the
2004 tax year as an example)
You will then file a Canadian Income tax return under Section 216(4) of the
Canadian Income tax act and report the income and expenses to Canada.
Next you convert the figures to US dollars and fill out Schedule E and
attach it to your 1040 US return.  If there were any taxes paid to Canada,
you will claim the Foreign tax credit on your US return by filing form 1116.
The following answer to another question will help.
I am a US citizen living and working in the US.  I am considering purchasing
a rental property in Vancouver, BC and wondered about the tax
consequences--both in Canada and the US.  Would I need to pay taxes on the
income in Canada or US?
Both - Canada first on a Section 216 return with an extra schedule T776 - If
any taxes were paid to Canada, you would claim a credit on your US return by
way of form 1116.  After converting the Canadian figures to US $$$, you
would have a small loss, not a profit.
Would I be able to deduct mortgage payments and condo fees and management
company fees as a business expense?
You can deduct "mortgage INTEREST" and condo fees and management fees in
Canada and the US.
If it was to be paid in Canada, would I only be taxed on the rental
income--not my personal US salary income.
Canada would not have a claim on your US income unless you were in Canada
very often on a continues basis.
Thank you!
david ingram replies:
Before you rent it out, you need to fill out form NR-6 and have a Canadian
"Tax agent" who may or not be the rental agent.
The NR-6 is available at:
This will result in the tax agent having to remit $25% of the net rent to
the Canadian Income Tax Department every month.
Then by March 31st of the following year, your tax agent has to file form
NR-4 and Summary to report the rental income to the CRA and you.
The flat form is at:
The summary form is at
Then by June 30th, you have to file a Canadian Tax return under Section
216(4) to report the rental income to Canada on form T776
You can read the T-1 Guide at
The T776 will give you a good idea of what is deductible -- It is analogous
to the US form 1040 with a schedule E.
You can also go to and read the rental income section in the
Tax Guide - look around a bit.
Your name has been added to our email list because of an enquiry we have
received,  we may not answer your question but
another similar question will be as we lump them.
You may find more answers at
If the number of messages is too many for you or the US / Canada Taxation
and Immigration information is not of interest, simply  reply with a remove
David Ingram of the CEN-TA REALTY  Group
US / Canada / Mexico tax and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver, BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
(604) 980-0321 - Fax 913-9123 taxman at
This from ask an income tax immigration planning and bankruptcy expert
consultant guru or preparer  from or or Canadian David Ingram deals daily with tax returns
dealing with expatriate:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate gambling refunds for
the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom,
Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa,  Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt,
Antarctica,  Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy,
Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii,
Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan,
Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St
Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, American and Canadian and
Mexican and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors experts  specialist
specialists  consultants taxmen   taxman tax woman planner planning
preparer of Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
 California Denver  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware District of Columbia Miami  Florida,
Garland Georgia,  Honolulu Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
  Indiana  Des Moines Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky,
 Louisiana  Bangor Maine  Maryland
 Boston, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Paris,  Rome, Sydney, Australia Hilton
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321
davidingram at
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader & the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or
advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration
specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.7 - Release Date: 2/10/05
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.7 - Release Date: 2/10/05


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.