Gambling return - W2G / 1042S missing - income tax,

How do I obtain a copy of my W2G form.  I believe the original form
was sent to my old
address.  There's no live representatives to speak with in order to
request a duplicate form.
david ingram replies:
Write to the casino.
They should get you one quite quickly.  It is to their benefit to
speed the process and keep you happy.
Make sure you give them all the details, date - amount, etc.
If you cannot find it or do not remember where you won it, make a
guess and put the amount on your return.
I am assuming that you are an American resident who would get a W2G =
A Canadian would be looking for a 1042S and the following would help
you .
Good luck.
  We went to Las Vegas on August, 2004 and my husband was lucky to win
the gross amount of US$1,767.00 but they witheld a tax for US$530.10.
We are Canadian Citizens. We have the Form 1042-S with all the details
of the witholding agent's name and address.
  Can you please advise how we can get back the witheld tax of
US$530.10. What is the procedure. Can we do it through your company.
  thank you,
david ingam replies:
These take so long to answer that I am going to bring in an old
question and answer for you.
old answer
Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2004 5:55 AM
Subject: Gaming Tax Refund
I recently had taxes withheld on slot machine wins in Reno, NV.  I
understand, as a Canadian resident, that I can apply to have the taxes
refunded.  Do I have to wait until the calendar year ends to apply?
david ingram replies:
You have to wait until 2005 for a 2004 refund but you have to have
gambling losses to offset gains to get a refund.
The following is the answer to an older question.
As a non US citizen, you must file a 1040NR along with a form W7 to
get an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number).
The following is a previous answer given in January to someone who had
received a W2G for a win of $1,200.
We can help you.
older answer
For non-residents of the United States, the withholding is 30% of wins
$1,200 or more.  You would file a 1040NR to report the winnings and
your losses as itemized deductions.
Remember that reporting just your win of $2100 and claiming gambling
does not make sense.  If you won $2,100 (or any other amount) and lost
much, there were more winnings in between which should be reported
even if a
slip was not issued.
Non-residents do not usually get a W2-G - they are issued a 1042-S
david ingram
IRS TAX TIP 2004-33
Hit a big one in 2003? With more and more gambling establishments, the
reminds people that they must report all gambling winnings as income
their tax return.
Gambling income includes, but is not limited to, winnings from
raffles, horse and dog races and casinos, as well as the fair market
of prizes such as cars, houses, trips or other noncash prizes.
Generally, if you receive $600 ($1,200 from bingo and slot machines
$1,500 from keno) or more in gambling winnings, the payer is required
issue you a Form W-2G. If you have won more than $5,000, the payer may
required to withhold 27% of the proceeds for Federal income tax.
if you did not provide your Social Security number to the payer, the
amount withheld will be 30%.
The full amount of your gambling winnings for the year must be
reported on
line 21, Form 1040 or the equivalent line on form 1040NR. If you
itemize deductions, you can deduct your
gambling losses for the year on line 27, Schedule A (Form 1040). You
cannot deduct gambling losses that are more than your winnings.
It is important to keep an accurate diary or similar record of your
gambling winnings and losses. To deduct your losses, you must be able
provide receipts, tickets, statements or other records that show the
amount of both your winnings and losses.
For more information on record keeping, see IRS Publication 529,
"Miscellaneous Deductions," or Publication 525, "Taxable and
Income." You may also want to check out Form W-2G or Form 1042-S and
instructions and
Tax Topic 419, "Gambling Income and expenses." All are available on
IRS Web site at You may also order free publications and
forms by calling toll free 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676).
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on
Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier
Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the
internet at
Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - Long distance calls to
Old shows are archived at the site.
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
(604) 980-0321
New email to davidingram at <mailto:davidingram at> <>
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed
information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author
and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified
practitioner or tax specialist in connection with personal or business
affairs such as at <> . If you
this message, this disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert" from
<>  or <>
or <> . David Ingram deals
on a
daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for
United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom,
Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand,
Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador,
Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq,
India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US,
GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall,
San Antonio and Houston Texas
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and
Tips, Income Tax and Immigration Wizard Income Tax and Immigration
Income Tax and Immigration Consultant Income Tax  and Immigration
Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax
expert preparer consultant expatriate anti money laundering money
FINTRAC E677 E667 4789 4790 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus -
Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.7.1 - Release Date: 3/9/05
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.