Can I pay only US taxes if it is my country of

My_question_is: Applicable to both US and Canada
Subject:        Can I pay only US taxes if it is my country of residence,
even if I work in Canada
Expert:         taxman at
Date:           Monday April 18, 2005
Time:           07:40 AM -0700
I was transfered by my company to Canada almost 2 years ago and moved my
family to Canada.  I have now accepted an offer back in the US.  I will be
moving my family back to the US next month and setting up my primary
residence in the US.  I will be transitioning to my new role over the next
few months.
My issue is that I will be working back and fourth from our US and Canadian
locatoins.  Can I go ahead have my pay transfered to our US branch and only
pay US taxes, or am I still responsible for Canadian taxes, pensions...)?
david ingram replies:
The situation is not unusual and you need to apportion your income properly.
If you are going to be earning over $10,000 in Canada and presumably working
in Canada under a skilled worker permanent resident status or an
intercompany transfer, you are clearly taxable in Canada.  In fact if you
live in the US and were working in three or four different provinces, you
would be required to file a multi-provincial return as US airline personnel
are forced to do when flying for Air Canada while living in the United
States.  (There are over 300 of these poor souls working for Air Canada and
they have been forced to file their returns this way since 1995).-
Note that if you live in one province and work in another province you only
pay tax to your province of residence unless you are self-employed in which
case (a travelling lecturer for instance), you also have e to file a
multi-jurisdictional return as well.
I would be glad to consult with you on this.  If you are in this position,
you must arrange with your employer to reduce your US tax withholdings so
that you can make advance payments to Canada.
The same thing happens in the US where athletes and travelling actors as an
example have to file a tax return for every state they play basketball, play
hockey or perform in something like a travelling road show of Mama Mia or
Phantom of the Opera.
Hope this helps.
 Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air
every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, I, david ingram am a
permanent guest on Fred Snyder of Dundee Wealth Managers' LIVE talk show
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet
at <>
Call (604) 280-0600 to have your question answered.  BC listeners can also
call 1-866-778-0600.
Caller sto the show and questioners on this board can also attend the
Thursday Night seminars on finance and making your Canadian Mortgage
Interest deductible.
This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert" from
<>  or <>  or <> . David Ingram deals on a
daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the
United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, Kuwait,
Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France,
Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia,
Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran,
India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK,
GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas,
San Antonio and Houston Texas
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration
Tips, Income Tax and Immigration Wizard Income Tax and Immigration Guru
Income Tax and Immigration Consultant Income Tax  and Immigration Specialist
Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist
expert preparer consultant expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning
FINTRAC E677 E667 4789 4790 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris
Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
(604) 980-0321
New email to davidingram at <mailto:davidingram at> <>
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist in connection with personal or business
affairs such as at <> . If you forward
this message, this disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.