recovery of Arizona Sales taxes paid on car. - ask

My husband and I are Canadians (born and bred). While vacationing in Arizona
this past winter(out of Canada for <60 days) my husband decided to purchase
a used automobile (2004 Impala) for personal use. No problems at the border
to import the vehicle. Wondering if a person able to collect back the
Arizona taxes paid on the vehicle, ($1290. U.S.) as Americans can collect
back the GST/PST. Is there a similar reciprocal agreement for Canadians? I
am unable to in info on this. Suggestions please.
david ingram replies:
This is the only question I am answering on Tuesday.
I am NOT an expert on sales taxes in any state but did have control over
offices in 30 states many many many years ago and did write a book about
importing cars from the US to Canada in 1991.  My memory was that the car
had to be removed from Arizona within 10 days to qualify for a refund.
A different version only applies to residents of States who have a
reciprocity agreement with Arizona.
(06/24/2004)  The exemption from Arizona transaction privilege (sales) tax
allowed on a motor vehicle purchased by a non-resident has been expanded.
Through HB 2460, the exemption now includes a purchase by a non-resident if
the purchaser’s home state has a reciprocity agreement with Arizona to
credit the purchaser for taxes paid in Arizona, but imposes a sales tax that
is lower than Arizona’s. The purchaser may pay either the sales tax rate of
his home state or Arizona’s rate, whichever is lower. In Arizona, the
non-resident must obtain a special 30-day non-resident registration permit.
If any reader knows the answer, please let me know and I will pass it on.
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air
every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, I, david ingram am a
permanent guest on Fred Snyder of Dundee Wealth Managers' LIVE talk show
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet
at <>
Call (604) 280-0600 to have your question answered.  BC listeners can also
call 1-866-778-0600.
Callers to the show and questioners on this board can also attend the
Thursday Night seminars on finance and making your Canadian Mortgage
Interest deductible.
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
Home office at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 9 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week (please do not fax or phone
outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to taxman at <mailto:taxman at> <>
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist in connection with personal or business
affairs such as at <> . If you forward
this message, this disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.