Income from US and Canada in 2004,

I was transferred to the Vancouver branch of my US-based company in April
2004 from California.  I have income in California and from April-December
2004 income in Canada.  I'm a US permanent resident, but a national of
another country which does NOT have a tax treaty in the US.  I was in Canada
less than 330 days in 2004.  I'm still living and working in Canada.  I've
been struggling with my taxes since March of this year, not knowing what to
deduct and what to claim as credit.  I thought I needed Form 2555 in
addition to the 1040, but after reading all the information available, I now
think that I don't qualify.
I think I need to file form 1116.  I filed my taxes here in Canada 3 months
ago, but have not heard back yet.  I'm suppossed to get about $3500 in
refund.  My Canadian income in 2004 was over $100K CAN, and my US income was
less than $45K US.  I had a rental property in California in 2004, and to
complicate things further, I bought a property in Vancouver in October 2004.
Can you help point me in the right direction in terms of forms needed?
P.S. I have a 401K and an retirement account in Canada.
david ingram replies:
1. Did you file Form I-131 BEFORE you left the US?  This is the form that
preserves your resident (green) card for re-entry into the US as a permanent
resident.  If you did not, you are in serious danger of having lost it
If you have lost it, then your tax return is different than if you are still
a permanent resident.  Buying a house here without an I-131 extension sort
of (but not necessarily) guarantees the loss of the green card.
2.  For Canada's return,
*	you did not qualify to buy an RRSP for the 2004 tax return. You qualify
for "this" year's RRSP based upon "last" year's  earnings in Canada.  You
"will" qualify for an RRSP on your 2005 return but do not buy any until you
get your assessment from Canada.  Please also note that the Pension
adjustment amount (I am assuming that you have a company pension plan)
greatly restricts the amount you can put into your RRSP
* 	You had to report your California rental on form T776 of your Canadian
*	You had to pro-rate your PERSONAL exemption amounts for 2004 and it is
unlikely that the Canadian return is correct.
3. 	For the US return,
*	Form 1040
*	Schedule E for the rental
*	form 1116 to claim the foreign ta credit for Canadian Taxes paid OR Form
2555 to claim exemption for up to $80,000 US pro-rated for the number of
days in Canada
*	The US form should have had a 2350 filed to allow you to claim bona fide
residence in Canada -  With the form 2350 filed, your 2004 US return would
not have been due until Jan 15, 2006
*	Forms T DF.90-22 to report your Foreign (Canadian and your home country)
accounts if the combined balances in all accounts is more than $10,000 US.
They would have been over $10,000 for sure the day you bought the house in
You should likely retain us to do the returns for you.  The fee would be
between $750 and $1,750, tax deductible, and save you a lot of headaches.
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air
every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, I, david ingram am a
permanent guest on Fred Snyder of Dundee Wealth Managers' LIVE talk show
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet
at <>
Call (604) 280-0600 to have your question answered.  BC listeners can also
call 1-866-778-0600.
Callers to the show and questioners on this board can also attend the
Thursday Night seminars on finance and making your Canadian Mortgage
Interest deductible.
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
Home office at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 9 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week (please do not fax or phone
outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to taxman at <mailto:taxman at> <>
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist in connection with personal or business
affairs such as at <> . If you forward
this message, this disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert" from
<>  or <>  or <> . David Ingram deals on a
daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the
United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, Kuwait,
Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France,
Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia,
Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran,
India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK,
GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas,
San Antonio and Houston Texas
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration
Tips, Income Tax and Immigration Wizard Income Tax and Immigration Guru
Income Tax and Immigration Consultant Income Tax  and Immigration Specialist
Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist
expert preparer consultant expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning
FINTRAC E677 E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris
Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo
New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia,
Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers,
Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay,
Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, Moncton,
Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego,
Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City, Tulsa,
Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello, Bellingham,
Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City, Lawrence,
Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince George, Prince
Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon,
Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,   Berlin,
Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai, Beijing,
Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red Deer, Olds,
Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie, Davidson,
Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Edinburgh,
Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney, Nanaimo,
Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne, Zurich, Kyoto,
Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries, Squamish,
Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope, Penticton,
Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis, Centralia,
Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson, Fort St
James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape Spears,
Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, Albany STAR WARS
ask international income tax & immigration expert consultant david ingram
from North Vancouver, BC, Canada experts on RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) radio CKBD
600AM 9 AM Sunday mornings on Fred Snyder's IT's YOUR MONEY


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.