Moving back to Canada - ask international income tax

Hi David,
My wife and I have already decided to hire you to do our 2006 tax return,
but we still have a few questions.
First, some background, we are both Canadian and we moved to USA on January
1, 2001.  We got our Green card on March 2001. We both work and we do have
401K as well as Roth IRA and IRA.
We want to move back to Canada for our retirement on December 31st, 2006.
First question:  when do we need to hire you to ensure that we do the right
things before we leave USA on December 2006?
Second group of questions:
while retired in Canada, I intend to do some consulting work in both USA and
Canada. Mandates could go from a couple of days to a couple of months,
living close to where the mandate work is located.
Is it better and easier to take those consulting jobs as a self-employed
individual or should I create a corporation?
Will I need any visa to work in USA as a self-employed individual?
Is it something that you can help me with when the time comes?
david ingram replies:
I charge $400 Cdn per hour for consultations.  However, this deserves a
quick reply.
If you have green cards and you intend to keep on working in the USA, you
must, should take out your US citizenship first.
It will make it 1000 times easier to continue to work in the USA.
Otherwise, you will have to get an individual visa for each contract you
take on.
I would recommend that you e a proprietorship 88% of the time.
An exception would be if the only way you can get a valuable contract is to
be a corporation (B C Hydro as one example).
In that case, you would use the corporation for that job and go back to
being a proprietorship as soon as possible.
Hope this helps.
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air
every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, I, david ingram am a
permanent guest on Fred Snyder of Dundee Wealth Managers' LIVE talk show
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet
at <>
Call (604) 280-0600 to have your question answered.  BC listeners can also
call 1-866-778-0600.
Callers to the show and questioners on this board can also attend the
Thursday Night seminars on finance and making your Canadian Mortgage
Interest deductible.
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
Home office at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 9 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week (please do not fax or phone
outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to taxman at <mailto:taxman at> <>
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist in connection with personal or business
affairs such as at <> . If you forward
this message, this disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.11.9/116 - Release Date: 9/30/05


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.