Putting Daughter's name on family home. ask

My question is: Canadian-specific
QUESTION: I live with my elderly mom who would like to avoid probate and
taxes upon her death.  As a result, she would like to add my name to the
title of her home.  I do not own any other property.  If I was to sell it
after her death, could you tell me what my obligations would be tax-wise.
Many thanks!
ps I've checked all the other questions and answers but none seem cover this
specific situation
david ingram replies:
If you are living in the house and she puts your name on as a joint tenant
with right of survivorship in Canada, you would receive the home free of
probate or property purchase tax.
If you were NOT living in the house and owned another house which was "your"
principal residence, you would have to be careful that you did not actually
"own" it to avoid your having to pay capital gains tax.  In this case, you
would sign an auxiliary document to state that you would not pledge your
share as security and would transfer it back to your mother immediately at
her request and state that the reason for your name being there was to avoid
hope this helps.  sorry it took so long to answer but I am about 500 behind.
david ingram
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air
every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, I, david ingram am a regular
guest on Fred Snyder of Dundee Wealth Managers' LIVE talk show called "ITS
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet
www.600AM.com <http://www.600am.com/>
Call (604) 280-0600 to have your question answered.  BC listeners can also
call 1-866-778-0600.
Callers to the show and questioners on this board can also attend the
Thursday Night seminars on finance and making your Canadian Mortgage
Interest deductible.
And for those in the Vancouver area, Fred is running an infomercial for 1/2
hour every night in October on Channel 10 television at "groooaaannnn" 1 AM
in the morning. It has a couple of useful concepts in it that can be
recorded to really get the idea.
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
Home office at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week (please do not fax or phone
outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to taxman at centa.com <mailto:taxman at centa.com>
www.centa.com <http://www.centa.com/>  www.david-ingram.com
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist in connection with personal or business
affairs such as at www.centa.com <http://www.centa.com> . If you forward
this message, this disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
ask international non-resident income tax expert preparation & immigration
consultant david ingram, experts on rentals mutual funds  RRSP RESP IRA
401(K) & divorce CKBD 600AM 9 AM Sunday on Fred Snyder's IT's YOUR MONEY


Trackback URL for this entry: http://www.centa.com/trackback.php/UsCaWeekofMon20051031002172.html

No trackback comments for this entry.