Written Proof of Departure from Canada - ask

Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 2:44 PM
To: taxman at centa.com
Subject: Written Proof of Departure from Canada
Hi  There!
How do we prove that a person left the country in  1966  when at
that time there were no forms that we were aware that required
filing? We need something to show for the years he was not in
Canada to satisfy the Old Age Pension department.  Heavens should
they give him credit for anytime outside  Canada by mistake!
My husband was born in Canada in  1937, left in  1966.  He became
a US citizen in  1972 in order to have a license that  required
US citizenship.  In  1994, we returned to Canada and went through
the usual customs procedure.  Upon being sent to Immigration, we
advised the officer that my husband was a US citizen but had been
born in Canada.  Other than my husband's Canadian birth
certificate and US passport which was presented, we were not
asked for anything else.  My  question was simple and direct...Do
I have to sponsor my husband back to Canada?  The answer was "no"
and "welcome back."  You can imagine
the paperwork and costs we have endured  since then .  In 2002 he
returned from visiting in the US and was advised that he had been
in this country illegally all that time. We always though that he
had dual citizenship.
So despite cutting all ties with the US and doing all the
necessary Canadian things: mortgage, bank account, car, Church
affiliation, filing Canadian tax returns as a resident, credit
cards and having lots of family in Canada nothing counts towards
being a bona fide resident when it comes to any entitlements.  In
fact, because he collects US Social Security, we get the feeling
that he will be lucky if eventually he collects a very small
amount of OAP.  We are aware of many others here who have
suffered the same fate.  He has now become a landed immigrant and
I his sponsor for 3 years.  The good news I suppose is that he
can become a  Canadian again in one year.... and the point there
  My point is that despite all the paperwork generated with the
government, they find ways to make life very complicated.  I wish
that the 1977 law about citizenship changes had been more widely
announced.  I was living in Canada at that time and had not even
heard about the changes!  Did I really need to have a TV?
Obviously not many of the local newspapers in smaller towns made
any big announcements.
Now we are dealing with the OAP people and need to prove the time
he was out of Canada.  Any suggestions?
Thanks for letting me tell you our story.
david ingram replies:
Usually people are trying to prove the time they were IN Canada,
not the time they were out.
There are many things that he should be able to access.
1.     Doctors' records
2.     Dentists' records
3.     Employment records
4.     Church records
5.     School records of his children
6.     Statutary declarations by friends, fellow emnployees,
relatives who visited you
7.     US Census records
8.     State Driver's licence records
9.     Auto Insurance records
10.    Bank account records
11..  Telephone company records - i.e. old phione books
12.    Club memberships
13.    Professional memberships
14.    Old Warranty cards
15.    Old passports
16.    Old tax returns - the IRS has a form which they produce
which says you filed a tax return as a US resident with the IRS -
Ithink that it can only go back to 1967
17.    A copy of his US citizenship apllication which will say
where and when he lived there.  It should be available from
Homeland Security
18.    His draft status - in 1964 and 1970, he would hav had to
register for the draft.  His address, etc., will be / should be
on record
19.    Library memberships
20.    Sports Team Memberships
It takes a lot of looking sometimes which reminds me
21.    Optometrist records
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free
on Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, I, david ingram am
a regular guest on Fred Snyder of Dundee Wealth Managers' LIVE
talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the
internet at
Call (604) 280-0600 to have your question answered.  BC listeners
can also call 1-866-778-0600.
Callers to the show and questioners on this board can also attend
the Thursday Night seminars on finance and making your Canadian
Mortgage Interest deductible.
And for those in the Vancouver area, Fred is running an
infomercial for 1/2 hour every night in October on Channel 10
television at "groooaaannnn" 1 AM in the morning. It has a couple
of useful concepts in it that can be recorded to really get the
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
Home office at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week (please do not
fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to taxman at centa.com
www.centa.com www.david-ingram.com
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed
information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general
comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as
advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists
between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual
duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal
advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist in connection with personal or
business affairs such as at www.centa.com. If you forward this
message, this disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert" from
www.centa.com or www.jurock.com or www.featureweb.com. David
Ingram deals on a daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems
for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, United
Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan,
China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia,
Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland,
Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India,
Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands,
US, UK, GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
Rockwall, Dallas, San Antonio Houston
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and
Immigration Tips, Income Tax  Immigration Wizard Antarctica
Rwanda Guru  Consultant Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6
NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist expert preparer
expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning FINTRAC E677
E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions
Grand Cayman Aruba
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants -
gurus - Paris Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo
New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling,
Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples,
Fort Myers,
Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson,
Green Bay,
Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton,
Quebec, Moncton,
Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San
Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun
City, Tulsa,
Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello,
Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City,
Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince
George, Prince
Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague,
Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,
Berlin, Hamburg
Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai,
Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red
Deer, Olds,
Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie,
Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey,
Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney,
Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne, Zurich,
Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries,
Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope,
Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis,
Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson,
Fort St
James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape
Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, Albany STAR WARS
ask international non-resident income tax expert preparation &
immigration consultant david ingram, experts on rentals mutual
funds  RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce CKBD 600AM 9 AM Sunday on
Fred Snyder's IT's YOUR MONEY
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.centa.com/CEN-TAPEDE/centapede/attachments/20051122/0ef221a6/attachment.htm


Trackback URL for this entry: http://www.centa.com/trackback.php/UsCaWeekofMon20051121002200.html

No trackback comments for this entry.