AT-2006-06 -

 IRS Tax Tips
      January 10, 2006
      Advice for Choosing a Tax Return Preparer
      IRS Tax Tip 2006-06
      Taxpayers who pay someone to do their taxes should choose a
preparer wisely.  If you choose to use a paid tax preparer, it is
important that you find a qualified tax professional. Taxpayers
are ultimately responsible for everything on their return even
when it’s prepared by someone else. While most tax return
preparers are professional and honest, taxpayers can use the
following tips to choose a preparer who will offer the best
service for their tax preparation needs.
      ·        Ask about service fees.  Avoid preparers who claim
they can obtain larger refunds than other preparers, or those who
guarantee results or base fees on a percentage of the amount of
the refund.
      ·        Plan Ahead. Choose a preparer you will be able to
contact after the return is filed and one that will be responsive
to your needs.
      ·        Get References. Ask questions and get references
from clients who have used the tax professional before.  Were
they satisfied with the service received?
      ·        Research. Check to see if the preparer has any
questionable history with the Better Business Bureau, the state’s
board of accountancy for CPAs or the state’s bar association for
attorneys. Find out if the preparer belongs to a professional
organization that requires its members to pursue continuing
education and also holds them accountable to a code of ethics.
      ·        Determine if the preparer’s credentials meet your
needs. Are they an Enrolled Agent, Certified Public Accountant or
Tax Attorney? Only attorneys, CPAs and enrolled agents can
represent taxpayers before the IRS in all matters including
audits, collection actions and appeals. Other return preparers
may represent taxpayers only in audits regarding a return they
signed as a preparer.
      Report suspected tax fraud and abusive tax preparers to the
IRS by calling 1-800-829-0433.
      David Ingram's US/Canada Services
      US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa
      US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
      Home office at:
      4466 Prospect Road
      North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
      Cell (604) 657-8451 -
      (604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
      Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week (please do
not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
      email to taxman at
      Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without
detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only
as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be
construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract
exists between the reader and the author and any and all
non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified
legal practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance,
preparation, or consultation  in connection with personal or
business affairs such as at If you forward this
message, this disclaimer must be included."
      Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.