UK England GB British resident with work permits for

QUESTION: I have friends from the UK who will have their work permit papers
approved in Canada and sent to the UK to be processed (takes 6 months).
Somewhere I read that if the papers are already approved in Canada they can
fly in and have the papers processed upon their arrival instead of having
them processed in the UK before they can leave.  Is there any information to
support what i read and is there anyone to contact so we can figure out that
portion of the process??  Thank you.
david ingram replies
I am so busy that I turned your question over to xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx who has just
graduated as an Immigration Practitioner from UBC (although her licence has
not come through yet). Louise is from the UK and is intending to specialize
in UK to Canada Immigration. It does not answer your question specifically
because she does not know what level your friends are coming under but
should help.
Her answer
Depending on the nature of work intended, there are three ways to work
temporarily in Canada:
(a) work which doesn't require a work permit,
(b) a work permit issued after receiving Human Resources and Skills
Development Canada (HRSDC) confirmation, and
(c) a work permit which doesn’t require an HRSDC confirmation.
The process varies for each type and this is where you will have read
differing information. I suggest that the type of work permit desirable for
a fellow Brit might be one that will give points in a future skilled worker
application.  A British citizen does NOT require a temporary resident visa.
Theoretically they could get on a plane and request a work permit, but
permission is not guaranteed.  Also you can’t enter Canada as a visitor and
then change to a work permit.
Upon receipt of an acceptance of an offer of employment, an employer
requests HRSDC to approve the job offer by issuing a confirmation letter.
The employer notifies the prospective employee of the receipt of the HRSDC
approval so that the employee may apply for a work permit outside Canada.
If successful the employee will receive a letter of approval.
The British citizen will come to a port of entry with the letter of approval
where they will usually issue a Work Permit.  On arrival they must meet the
following requirements: have a valid passport for the duration of their
intended stay; satisfy required criminal, security and medical checks;
demonstrate enough money to be self-sufficient and satisfy the port of entry
officer that they will leave Canada at the end of their employment.
They should bring with them all their documents so far, including the job
offer, their resume (CV), evidence of past relevant employment experience,
HRSDC information etc.
The risk is that they may arrive at the port of entry expecting to be issued
with a work permit and be refused.  With legal representation from a lawyer
or a licensed practitioner a package of all your documents can be forwarded
to the destination port a couple of weeks ahead of the arrival date.  This
doesn’t guarantee the issuance of a Work Permit but it mitigates the risk.
A work permit usually specifies a particular job and duration.  Spouses and
common-law partners of temporary skilled workers may apply for a work permit
without a job offer or HRSDC confirmation.  This is in anticipation of you
making Canada your destination of choice because your partner can work as
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
Home office at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week (please do not fax or phone
outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to taxman at <mailto:taxman at> <>
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or
consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at <> . If you forward this message, this
disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert" from
<>  or <>  or <> . David Ingram deals on a
daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the
United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai,
Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France,
Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia,
Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran,
India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK,
GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas,
San Antonio Houston
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration
Tips, Income Tax  Immigration Wizard Antarctica Rwanda Guru  Consultant
Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax
specialist expert preparer expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning
FINTRAC E677 E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions
Grand Cayman Aruba Zimbabwe South Africa Namibia help USA US
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris
Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo Zimbabwe
New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia,
Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers,
Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay,
Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, Moncton,
Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego,
Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City, Tulsa,
Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello, Bellingham,
Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City, Lawrence,
Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince George, Prince
Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon,
Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,   Berlin,
Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai, Beijing,
Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red Deer, Olds,
Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie, Davidson,
Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Edinburgh,
Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney, Nanaimo,
Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne, Zurich, Kyoto,
Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries, Squamish,
Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope, Penticton,
Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis, Centralia,
Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson, Fort St
James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape Spears,
Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, Albany Zimbabwe
international non-resident cross border income tax help assistance expert
preparation & immigration consultant david ingram, experts on rentals mutual
funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce preparer preparers consultants


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.