Leaving Canada with intention of

Date:           Wednesday February 15, 2006
Time:           09:33 AM -0800
Dear David,
We've been reading your forum religously, and now have a question we just
can't seem to find an answer to.
My husband had a job offer in the Caribbean (on a tax free island) and since
there was no job for him in Canada, we decided to move.  This all happened
fairly quickly, so we didn't have much time to consult a lawyer.  We sold
our house and car before we left and trucked our belongings down to the US
(no problems at the border, since we had the job offer from the Caribbean
We kept our licenses, credit cards and bank accounts, since we needed those
until we were set up in the Caribbean.  We did not file any forms with
Canada customs, since the move was to be permanent and we were told by
customs itself that we didn't need to do anything.  We left our belongings
in storage in the US, because the housing we initially got from the company
was furnished.
Well, the job didn't work out (the island was just too expensive & the pay
too little, amongst other things) and we left the Caribbean.
Our questions are:
1. We do not want to become non-residents anymore, since we plan on
returning to Canada in the summer. Until we can acquire home again in
Canada, we are living with my mother in Germany (since Dec. 6, 2005) - how
do we file our income tax for 2005, e.g. address?
2. Once we return to Canada, what are the implications for our personal
belongings, which we will ship back to Canada, probably with a shipping
We'd really appreciate a quick heads-up as to what we have to do to make
this as painless as possible.
david ingram replies:
I do not know when you left.  However, as your intent was to become
non-residents, you may have succeeded.  Make sure you have a list of your
belongings.  You should have had one for the US when going through the
border.  If you do not, well, make one up now and cross your fingers when
you bring it back through customs.  It will help if you have the trucking
receipts of Canada to the storage and the storage directly back to Canada.
However, there is not much chance that the CRA will reject your filing a
return as a resident.  That means that you will report any income earned in
Canada before you left and the income from the Caribbean Island on your 2005
return.  If you need help, I would be glad to look after it for you.
Since you had a bad Caribbean experience, let me suggest that you read
Herman Wouk's "Don't Stop the Carnival". It is a hilarious adventure of
Norman Paperman, the smartest man in all New York.
Some day I will tell you about my own Caribbean adventure. Well to put it
simply, my first Lawyer, Maurice Bishop overthrew the government of Sir Eric
Gairy in 1979 and turned me over to his law partner Bernard (Bud) Coard.
Then four years later my new lawyer, his former partner Bernard Coard
overthrew Bishop and executed him at Fort Rupert Prison at St George's,
Grenada. Coard was very pro-soviet and Ronald Regan then sent in the US
Marines on October 25, 1983, eight days after Bishop was executed.
Been there, Done That!
David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -
(please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to taxman at centa.com <mailto:taxman at centa.com>
www.centa.com <http://www.centa.com/>  www.david-ingram.com
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or
consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at
www.centa.com <http://www.centa.com> . If you forward this message, this
disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
David Ingram specializes in giving expert income tax and immigration help to
American and Canadian citizens living out of their home countries from
Zimbabwe to Saudi Arabia to Mexico to China or Chile - Cross border,
Non-resident - dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled
with competence and authority.
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris
Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo Zimbabwe
international non-resident cross border income tax help assistance expert
preparation & immigration consultant david ingram, experts on rentals mutual
funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce preparer preparers consultants


Trackback URL for this entry: http://www.centa.com/trackback.php/UsCaWeekofMon20060313002500.html

No trackback comments for this entry.