Canadian citizen-green card in us

My_question_is: Applicable to both US and Canada
Subject:        canadian citizen-green card in us for 36 years
Expert:         taxman at
Date:           Thursday July 20, 2006
Time:           06:05 PM -0700
mom is in canada and just got robbed and brutilized and I woud like to live
with her for as long as I can and then go back to us and work at my job who
will have me back next year.So I am thinking of going as long as I can
without casuing it less than six months? How long can I do
this? My daughter does not have kids yet but will and then I would like to
live with my daughter and in a granny unit of a house that she has not
bought yet..maybe four yeasrs down the road or???open to time frame. My mom
has somewhat of a support group in canada, Saskatchewan...but family round
is the best. Of her estate, cash, mut funds, cds etc and a home about 90k,
how should she leave me money so that I will be taxed on that minimilley. I
will recieve about 750/mo soc sec if I quit work in four years when I am
62...would like to work ..
david ingram replies:
Your question is too rambling for me to answer properly.
This is the reason however, that you (and many others) should have taken out
your US citizenship.
My advice is to start the citizenship process immediately.  Then File form
I-131 which gives you permission to leave the US with a green card for up to
a year.  This form MUST BE FILED "BEFORE" you leave the US.  If you will be
gone more than a year, you need to file another I-131 for each year.
You can find form I-131 and instructions at:
The filing fee is $170.00 US.
I welcome any comments others might have on this.
David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -
(please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to taxman at <mailto:taxman at> <>
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or
consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at <> . If you forward this message, this
disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
 David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident
Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Saudi Arabia to Mexico
to China or Chile - Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments
are all handled with competence & authority.


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.