Newfoundland Property in U.S.

Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 3:36 PM
Subject: Re: Property in U.S. need some help
Hello Mr Ingram;
Wondering if you can help me in my situation…direct me in what’s best to do next.
I’m a Canadian citizen living and working back home in Canada .  I have property in my hometown, one house co-owned with an associate and the house that I currently live in with my family (mortgage on both).
I also own a house in the U.S. ( Texas ) that I acquired, at no cost to me, through a relationship break-up, when I was working there. Currently, this property is being rented and cared for by a vacation rental/property management company and, so far, has cost me very little. It “takes care of itself”and the mortgage is always paid.
My intent is to sell it after February 2008. I’d like to sell it and buy another rental property closer to home because of the hassle in dealing with a property such a distance away. If I can get a better rate on my mortgage I may keep it.
How will all of this affect my taxes? I don't know enough about capital gains or very much else concerning taxes involving both countries. This is cross-border and I’m very confused as to “all the rules , tax laws, etc.” of this situation. There is A LOT about this situation that I do not know. Help!!
Thanks for your time,
david ingram replies:
Have covered just about all of Newfoundland a couple of times from the Bay of Bulls to Fortune to L'Anse aux Meadowes and Labrador. Never went to XXXXXX however.
If you sell the house in Texas, you will have US capital gains tax to pay if it has gone up in value. 
The house also has to be valued as of the date you returned to Canada for the purposes of Canadian capital gains tax.  Remember to take the different exchange rates into account.
You have to file a US Schedule E with a 1040NR each year to report the US rental income (failure to file is a $1,000 to $10,000 penalty plus 30% of the gross rent).  
The US rent must also be reported on a T776 on your Canadian T1.  If you paid any tax to the US, you would get a foreign tax credit in Canada by filling in lines 431 and 433 and doing the foreign tax credit on schedule 1 of your T1.
David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 - 
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -  (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to taxman at
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or consu
David Ingram expert income tax help and preparation of US Canada Mexico non-resident and cross border returns with rental dividend wages self-employed and royalty foreign tax credits
New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia,
Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers,
Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay,
Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, Moncton,
Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego,
Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City, Tulsa,
Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello, Bellingham,
Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City, Lawrence,
Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince George, Prince
Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon,
Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,   Berlin, Hamburg 
Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai, Beijing,
Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red Deer, Olds,
Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon
David Ingram expert income tax help and preparation of US Canada Mexico non-resident and cross border returns with rental dividend wages self-employed and royalty foreign tax credits
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona, 
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,  
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida, 
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky, 
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,  
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,  
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,  
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey, 
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,  
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon. 
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall, 
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,  
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia, 
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, 
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, 
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City, 
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, 
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and 
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,  
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay 
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland 
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard  
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris Prague Moscow Berlin
Limainternational non-resident cross border income tax help assistance expert preparation & immigration consultant david ingram, experts on rentals mutual funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce preparer preparers consult
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.